keithvent

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
I'm ready to purchase a home theater system for my man's room in the basement. However, I'm somewhat confused on what type of amplifier (home theater system) I should purchase that will allow me to hook up my PS3 and Wii system via HDMI inputs. I also know I will need an HDMI input for the TV as well. Is there a system that would allow for everything to be hooked up to decent amplifier?

Thanks

Solution
The OP didn't say anything about needing a TV, I'm very confused by your LG 3D fanboy rant. To the OP:

If your television does have HDMI (I'm assuming it does), you do want an amplifier with multiple HDMI inputs on it. The WII does not have an HDMI output, so if you want to use only a single HDMI into your television, you will need one that has an internal video upconvertor. This will take any non HDMI input, and output it via HDMI. Most of your mid range and higher amps will have this. You have a lot of choices based on how much you want to spend! Give us a ballpark budget, and we can help.

Craig White

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Almost all the TVs of today have a couple of HDMI input so basically that shouldn't be one of the consideration when you look for a new TV. If you game a lot on TV, LG LM models have special gaming mode that shows different images to each player using the passive 3D technology and polarized glasses. You should look into it. I heard LG 3D TVs are very famous for it among gamers.

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
The OP didn't say anything about needing a TV, I'm very confused by your LG 3D fanboy rant. To the OP:

If your television does have HDMI (I'm assuming it does), you do want an amplifier with multiple HDMI inputs on it. The WII does not have an HDMI output, so if you want to use only a single HDMI into your television, you will need one that has an internal video upconvertor. This will take any non HDMI input, and output it via HDMI. Most of your mid range and higher amps will have this. You have a lot of choices based on how much you want to spend! Give us a ballpark budget, and we can help.

Solution

keithvent

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

Jcoultas98,

I apologize for not being exact, I plan on purchasing a Samsung 50" LCD LED TV very soon for my man cave. I already have a complete system in my living room ( 55" Samsung LCD LED). My family and I are into playing the Wii and big time into PS3 ( Madden and NCAA2012...etc). I want to purchase a home theater system that will accommodate my gaming. Can you guide me in the right direction on a decent ( amplifier, speaker package)? I do not want to spend an arm an a leg on a home theater system......under $500.00 if possible........How much is an internal video upconverter, and what does it do. Also, if you think the 50" Samsung is not the way to go, please advise? I would like to spend under $1,000 on the TV as well.

Keith Ventimiglia

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
While i know it's a shade over your budget... i'd look at the Denon DHT-1513.

http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatId=HomeTheaterSystems(DenonNA)&catalog=DenonNA_US&Pid=DHT1513BA(DenonNA)

It specifically does everything you are looking for, and the speaker set is very very good. If you shop around online, i'm sure you could pick one up for ~500.

keithvent

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

jcoultas98,

Thanks for the insight, I will look online for a better deal on the Denon. What do you think about the TV I mentioned in yesterday's quote? Would you recommend the 50" Samsung LED LCD TV, or something else?

Keith Ventimiglia

yang0409

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

If you want lcd-led you have to check 2012 models of lg. Affordable prices but as great as the more expensive brands like sony or samsung when it comes to performance.