Gateway laptop won't power on

H2os

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Hello,

I'm messing with a friends laptop that won't boot. I'm not sure of the specs, but when I press the power button the power light flashes blue, the AC charge light flashes amber. It does this once in that sequence. When I take the battery out and leave the AC in just the power light flashes blue once. I have attempted to do a reset leaving the battery out, and unplugging the AC adapter. Holding down the power button for 30 seconds. No results. My gut says the solder on the video card is no longer any good(pretty sure it's integrated in the motherboard.), but I don't really have a way to know for sure. Is there anything else I can attempt to do?

H2os

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
the computer doesn't turn on. no activity from anything except the lights i mentioned.

Edit: as I answered you here I pushed the power button and the fan started for about a second, then it died, nothing else came on, the ac power charge indicator went off and i had to unplug it and replug the cord back in to get it the charging indicator light.

Shamar Holtz

Estimable
Feb 27, 2014
It may not be the graphics chip, since almost nothing boots up it must be a power error or your PC is dead or dying. How old is this PC?

It could also be your Hard Drive has failed. Do you hear a small clicking sound when tryin to boot your system?

If the its a power error than your AC adapter(Power Cord) isn't transferring enough power to boot the whole system, which is typically 165w for a laptop.

Also did either computer recently go through a power surge? Usually happens during thunderstorms.