Gateway LT4004u - How to get to RAM

autoamerican

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Does anyone have a PDF of whatever support guide Gateway gives their techs for the LT4004u netbook? I'm about to do a memory upgrade on mine, but this thing doesn't have the typical / obvious hatch they hide memory under in most laptops / netbooks, and I have no intention of tearing this thing down the hard way to find it.

The Gateway website is a joke, no documentation.

autoamerican

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Actually, I found that right after I posted my message - thanks :)

The problem with Google is that even though it's my friend, this computer isn't powerful enough to run a browser properly with only 1gb RAM. I'm not exaggerating, after it took me about 20mins to go through two pages on Google, I gave up. It took me about 30mins just to post these two messages on here with the constant lock-ups. Why do they even sell these things with only 1gb RAM? I just bought a 2gb module for a few bucks, free shipping. Would it have killed them to do that at the factory?

Can't wait to get this done.

autoamerican

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
This is the video I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nob_ZxwFwyc

This is probably the most poorly designed netbook I've ever owned. It's my second - and will be my LAST - Gateway product. You have to remove the keyboard, then pull five screws from the chassis holding the rear panel FROM THE INSIDE, then pop it out? What is the benefit in that design? No unsightly screws in the case? Oh, wait, the screws that hold the bezel are clearly visible, so that can't be it. Maybe it's a shining example of planned obsolescence, where they make upgrading more trouble than it's worth for the average user.

I'll save the rest of my rant for a review elsewhere in the forum once I put the upgrade in and this thing isn't locking up every 3-5 seconds (again, I'm not exaggerating - I'm about to "drop" this thing at a wall).

kcallah

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

:pt1cable: Great Video, it worked for me on my Gateway LT4010u Netbook. The Gateway case arrangement is identical to the one on the Acer in the Video. The 2GB memory performance increase was amazing. I highly recommend it to everybody.