Gateway MV53 laptop often will not boot

tyl604

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
Recently when I hit the power button the two power lights (bottom left - blue or red) come on but it will not boot. Get only a black screen. Then sometimes I will unplug the charger (battery is bad so I always use it plugged in to the wall socket) and replug it and it will come on immediately - says "Open Windows normally" plus some other options on a black and white screen. But it boots fine.

1. Will not reboot; screen stays black.
2. Then will reboot finally after unplugging-replugging the charger several times. I get a screen offering several reboot options - I choose reboot Windows normally. Battery has not been able to charge for several years and I run it plugged in to the wall socket.
3. So far it will not reboot by just using the on/off button. But I keep trying.
4. I have ordered a new battery but do not think that is the problem.

My charger is quite hot. Could it be a problem with the charger? Could the motherboard be going?

Solution
To me it sounds like your motherboard may be having issues and there may be other parts going, but before jumping to that conclusion, try plugging in an external monitor and see if you can view everything on there, from the time it is turned on. This will give you a better idea (if you can see everything) what messages are coming up.

Also, what is the full message it has been giving you when it finally boots?
To me it sounds like your motherboard may be having issues and there may be other parts going, but before jumping to that conclusion, try plugging in an external monitor and see if you can view everything on there, from the time it is turned on. This will give you a better idea (if you can see everything) what messages are coming up.

Also, what is the full message it has been giving you when it finally boots?

Solution