GE WattStation to Simplify Electric Car Charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
The local news station here reports that Chevrolet is incresing the warranty duration on the batteries for the upcoming Chevrolet Volt "for longer than normal"

Laptop batteries usually get covered by default for 1 year.

In terms of car batteries for an electric car; I wonder what constitutes normal?

G

Toyota reckons the prius battery will last 75k, mines at 120k and still strong

l_mckeon

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
@priusbattery
I've heard there are multiple Prius taxis in Australia that are past the 250,000km mark (155K miles) and still going strong. The batteries are lasting much longer than Toyota expected due to the battery management software which prevents overcharge or deep discharge.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
This is retarded. They are jumping right on the bandwagon to "standardize" charging methods for electric vehicles. When this happens, then the car companies will need to conform and we all know what that means... it's just as bad as NVIDIA fixing prices. Well, we have proprietary equipment and it has to be OSHA regulated and blah, blah, blah.. yada yada yada... rules, rules, rules and MORE rules. CONTROL EVERYTHING! Ok, I'm done now.

weirdguy99

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
How long will it take to charge the average electric car though?

It would be weird seeing tens of cars lined up charging for 10 hours.

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]This is retarded. They are jumping right on the bandwagon to "standardize" charging methods for electric vehicles. When this happens, then the car companies will need to conform and we all know what that means... it's just as bad as NVIDIA fixing prices. Well, we have proprietary equipment and it has to be OSHA regulated and blah, blah, blah.. yada yada yada... rules, rules, rules and MORE rules. CONTROL EVERYTHING! Ok, I'm done now.[/citation]

LOL! Your statement is just.. *facepalm* What do you want? Every single electric car to have it's own unique connections, and every time you drive up to re-charge it's a gamble whether or not the plug fits into the outlet?!? You're post is beyond stupid. Standardized technology streamlines seemingly complex processes and maximizes efficiency when implemented correctly.

baracubra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
If this station is capable of increasing its charge output and the C's with which it can charge making it future proof for better batteries then I'm all for it. Otherwise, it would suck if they became outdated and couldn't charge at future batteries' full potential

iinweed

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
How about someone comes up with a wireless charging point? I'm convinced that having all these cables connected to the cars is just going to make a target for vandals.

Albyint

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Wouldnt it be better to run public transportation (also taxies?) on tesla coils? Or at least something similar. That would be cool if technology eventually evolves in that direction.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
i would rather they install charge stations via magnetic or other form of media at stop lights :p and parking lots at stores that way your car hardly ever depletes and if you get stuck in traffic at least in some areas youll be charging LOL

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]AMDnoob[/nom]LOL! Your statement is just.. *facepalm* What do you want? Every single electric car to have it's own unique connections, and every time you drive up to re-charge it's a gamble whether or not the plug fits into the outlet?!? You're post is beyond stupid. Standardized technology streamlines seemingly complex processes and maximizes efficiency when implemented correctly.[/citation]It also increases profits for a company that destroys the environment religiously. I don't need to explain. You'll see all by yourself. I have faith in you.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]l_mckeon[/nom]@priusbatteryI've heard there are multiple Prius taxis in Australia that are past the 250,000km mark (155K miles) and still going strong. The batteries are lasting much longer than Toyota expected due to the battery management software which prevents overcharge or deep discharge.[/citation]
NiMH batteries last forever. Unlike Lithium batteries there is no aging effect. This means that while the Tesla Roadster will likely have battery problems a couple of years down the road after you buy one the Prius will still be working perfectly. Besides, since the Prius can run solely on the gas engine at any speed a bad battery shouldn't be an issue if the car's computer is programmed correctly.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
All I am saying is I don't think we need "charging stations" on street corners. Every single person, almost everywhere can have electricity in their homes. To ME, the idea behind "going green" means not having to rely on some BIG NAME COMPANY supplying the means to plug my car in. Charging a battery is not some super complex process that requires digital displays. It can be done easily at your home. But I also realize that long distance trips would not be feasible with a "charging station". So.. whatever. Just not on every damn street corner.

G

@iinweed - When you put out that amount of power wirelessly it will be like a microwave - you may get cooked - certainly you will not propogate - is that a bad thing>

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]AMDnoob[/nom]LOL! Your statement is just.. *facepalm* What do you want? Every single electric car to have it's own unique connections, and every time you drive up to re-charge it's a gamble whether or not the plug fits into the outlet?!? You're post is beyond stupid. Standardized technology streamlines seemingly complex processes and maximizes efficiency when implemented correctly.[/citation]

The article didn't say anything about standardizing connections...it'll just have a retractable cable. Nothing seemingly complex about putting a plug in...although I would applaud a standardized electrical outlet so I could plug my shaver in when i travel...

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
One of my issues with the recharging of electric cars is that it takes 45min to do it, and for the amount of battery life they have that is ridiculous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS