Gear Live: Hands On with Android Wear

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
i dont know about you guys but i'm this close to ditching ios quite simply because i want to use one of these watches. apple is getting stale to me

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
If this is all they have to offer, Apple is going to make billions on the iWatch. Apple knew simply putting a 2" tablet on your wrist is going to flop...and well it did.

What do you mean 'is that all they have to offer'? What are your expectations?

Apple may well make good money on a smartwatch - how does that detract from an Android offering?

I agree you (Crapple) will fall back to 10% market penetration. And I hope that comes fast.

Meanwhile, I'm loving my Gear 2 Neo....

XGrabMyY

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
So instead of looking at your phone all the time where your friends will think you aren't interested in them now you'll be looking at a watch all the time as if to say, "Hurry up and shut up, I have somewhere more important to be!"

soundping

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
SmartHoles?
This Smartband is just another way to push advertizements at you. There's nothing new technology-wise here.

tobyevers

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I want a Moto 360. I have no need for it. But I will immediately buy the hell out of one, the moment it's released. This must be what Apple fanboys feel like when they announce some shiny throwaway thing we don't actually need. Intriguing

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
I stopped wearing a watch when I started carrying a cell phone all the time. Looking at my phone to see the time is easy enough that a watch became irrelevant.

If all these smart watches do is show more of the same information my phone already does or function like a remote display then I'm not interested.

They're going to have to do something pretty impressive before I decide to strap something to my wrist afain.

gadgety

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
"We definitely don't need it, but we have fallen in love with it over the last 24 hours."

While we may not need all the functions we all need to express ourselves.

Watches express and communicate who we would like to be and how we would like to be perceived. While the the hardware, the material, the brand are part of that, the watch face is a very significant part of the message as well.

On a smart watch the dial is changeable and dynamic. This means both new designs and interfaces can be created, but also that classic wrist watch designs can be emulated, particularly with the Moto360.

Whoever of these OS and hardware manufacturers enables us consumers to express ourselves with a tailorable watch dial will have a significant argument to persuade consumers to get a smartwatch. This goes beyond selecting a few premade watch faces, to having the possibility to actually design, or put together aspects of what the watch face looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.