George Lucas Sues Peripheral Maker Jedi Mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
... i'm getting so sick of trademarks, copyrights, and patent suits. How old are these characters and universe? 30+ years

The entire system needs a reboot IMO.

adikos

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
not surprised in the least. they saw this coming and if they didnt think lucas was serious well then they are pretty stupid.

doesnt lucasarts sue someone every month?

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
You know, the whole point of a trademark is to be able to build a brand around a recognizable name and logo, and not have someone else come in and create a similar sounding or looking brand and logo with the intent of free advertising. For example, if I created a sneaker company called Hike, and used a swoosh logo and similar type-font... that would be trademark infringement since my intent is to mislead consumers.

However, there is no way in hell ANYONE would confuse a company called Jedi Mind, with any of the actual Star Wars movies. "Shit, this is a commercial for some computer product... I thought it was episode III!" That just ain't going to happen. I hope the company tells Darth George to cram his C&D in his crack, and fights this shit in court. I can't imagine a judge would go along with this.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
These guys probably called it the Jedi Mouse because they wanted the free publicity from George Lucas when they inevitably get sued. Even if they lose, they only pay around $5M but get free advertising by showing up on CNN, Fox News, BBC etc.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
And people who want copyright law abolished are plain stupid. Then again they probably never had a creative thought in their life so they don't get the point of intellectual property.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Pretty obvious infringement... they are implying Jedi like powers with their product.

Also, since Jedi is not a real word, and is part of the Star Wars universe, how the hell does anyone think they can get away with that?

adiposity

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]You know, the whole point of a trademark is to be able to build a brand around a recognizable name and logo, and not have someone else come in and create a similar sounding or looking brand and logo with the intent of free advertising. For example, if I created a sneaker company called Hike, and used a swoosh logo and similar type-font... that would be trademark infringement since my intent is to mislead consumers.However, there is no way in hell ANYONE would confuse a company called Jedi Mind, with any of the actual Star Wars movies. "Shit, this is a commercial for some computer product... I thought it was episode III!" That just ain't going to happen. I hope the company tells Darth George to cram his C&D in his crack, and fights this shit in court. I can't imagine a judge would go along with this.[/citation]

The LucasArts portfolio extends far beyond the movies. It also includes many toys, video games, books, posters, costumes, etc. Practically anything you make that uses the word "Jedi" could potentially be infringing on some current or future toy/game/etc. Maybe LucasArts wants to provide people a mind reading device called "Jedi Mind...". Don't they have the right? Don't they own the name?

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
The fact of the matter is, Lucas DOESN'T have a trademark on the name Jedi Mind. They can't just "claim ownership" all on their own. It's legal bullshit, and I can only imagine that the lawyers that took the case are getting their money up front.

Jedi Mind, Inc. will fight this in court, and they will win, and Lucas will look like an ass like always.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I don't agree with the Harry Potter condom lawsuit, but if you use an actual name like "jedi" or "Harry Potter," then you're asking to be sued.

kresso

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Pretty obvious infringement... they are implying Jedi like powers with their product. Also, since Jedi is not a real word, and is part of the Star Wars universe, how the hell does anyone think they can get away with that?[/citation]

Um... the article clearly states
[citation]Lucasfilm doesn't hold a trademark on "Jedi Mind"[/citation]

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
i actually don't see anything wrong with this suit, Lucas Arts sent the company two letters telling them they were infringing on copyrights yet the company continued. the lawsuits i have a problem with are the ones where a company knows that someone is using something they have a patent for but doesn't persue that patent until the other company has sold enough product that they'd have to pay in millions in royalties. I think that if someone is to file a patent suit then they have to provide the court with proof that they knew nothing of the offending company using their IP, and provide records of filing a cease and desist order prior to filing a lawsuit.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
yeah he made the name jedi FFS so i believe he has every right to stop them marketing that name.

all you anti copyright idiots have just jumped on this one without even thinking about it. I agree that sometimes people get OTT over IP and stuff like that but this one has grounds

JEDI is also an acronym. /wiki

Lucasarts does have a right to pursue this in court for a cease and desist order.. the only reason LA is still around is from all the trademark kickbacks. Pretty shady way to conduct a business but legit.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Sometimes I wish I was God just so I could smack some sense into anyone in the world at will.
"Lucas, this is God - Stop being such a douche and let bygones be bygones. Oh, and stop messing with StarWars. Nobody wants to see a puppet over here and a digital creature over there, they just don't look good on screen together. Give us the originals back."
"Jobs, this is God - Why are you so opposed to jailbreaking. You are trying to take away what the public wants. And the first rule of retail is the customer is first. As quoted (loosely) from starwars, the more you tighten your grasp, the more systems will slip through your fingers".

" This is God, I have spoken, everyone shut up for me's sake and tend to your own flock!"

G

George Lucas is sueing my wife for wearing a fur coat he said to closely resembled chewbacca. We received a cease and desist order in the mail last week. He is sueing her for 20 million dollars. The coat costed roughly 350.00 dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.