Georgio Armani Teams Up With Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
if anything, a phone with a recognized brand name should cost LESS than a plain phone. If a company like Armani, or even Apple, Nike, or any other famous brand gets to display their logo on something you are wearing or displaying all the time, they should offer you a rebate.

Now if you are stupid enough to pay more in order to become a live advertising machine, go ahead and pay for it. Your cash won't be in less deserving hands.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I think it cheapens the brand name when they put their name on the cel phone. Also I've seen that it seems like Armani's lower brands are strougling because they keep having sales. $1000+ for a phone just because it says armani or coach or whatever on it makes no bit of sense. It'd make sense if it was an exclusive phone that had something like a real high end cpu in it that no other phone has or such. But not for just a name or even having a gold case, that stuff is useless on a phone.

G

it might be useless for men, but I do not know about women..

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
What's with the negative there? Man, whoever that gave it just does not know how powerful that combination would be. Do some research on the market.

ice_mountain_

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
[citation][nom]sstym[/nom]if anything, a phone with a recognized brand name should cost LESS than a plain phone. If a company like Armani, or even Apple, Nike, or any other famous brand gets to display their logo on something you are wearing or displaying all the time, they should offer you a rebate.Now if you are stupid enough to pay more in order to become a live advertising machine, go ahead and pay for it. Your cash won't be in less deserving hands.[/citation]

you got it backwards. the brand does not use you to advertise itself; you use the brand to advertise yourself. the label is a status symbol, and such symbols must cost a premium, or else it will no longer function as one.

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ice_mountain_[/nom]you got it backwards. the brand does not use you to advertise itself; you use the brand to advertise yourself. the label is a status symbol, and such symbols must cost a premium, or else it will no longer function as one.[/citation]

ice, you're right in your assessment that people think of it as a status symbol. I think am right in my assessment that people gullible enough to think high end brands increase their status deserve to be parted from their money.

Actually there is one possibly valid reason to do this: If your job is to cater to rubes dumb enough to be impressed by brand names and carrying such an item will dazzle them into doing business with you, then go for it.

ZeroTech

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
For the past years smart phones were becoming part of fashion. I know most of the people here in TH don't care about this kind of thing, but a lot of other people out there do.
"OMG, that cell phone is SOooo Sexy..." or "Wow, that phone is HOT." Just because of the name...

It's about time companies exploit this kind of marketing and charge extra for the brand.
Oops, Apple has been doing this for quiet a while already, they have a head start. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.