Germany Questions Google's Data ''Accident''

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
What a crock of BS! What was their intention of collecting any data other than street view pictures in the first place?

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]JD13[/nom]What a crock of BS! What was their intention of collecting any data other than street view pictures in the first place?[/citation]

It's not like they were trying to crack into your router. Now if you did leave your router wide open, then it is probably the user's fault. In such a case, scrupulous individuals could just walk by your house and start hacking away. Such individuals would do more harm than google could ever do.

PC_GI

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
More then likely they just wanted to obtain websites visited by most people in order to figure out whats selling. Sneaky, but also helpful in their pursuit of global domination.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]PC_GI[/nom]More then likely they just wanted to obtain websites visited by most people in order to figure out whats selling. Sneaky, but also helpful in their pursuit of global domination.[/citation]
Well, that's the only thing I could possibly imagine that they'd even use the data for. Low regardless.

I love you Google, you've helped me countless times, but be careful were you walk, the ice is thin and melting this time of year.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I stand by Google with this one. They probably were doing other experiments or collecting data for research purposes without intention of harm. Since they planned to have a car drive by every road in the world, they might as well try to make more use of the opportunity.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Google said that up until the time of the audit, it had been under the impression that it was only collecting MAC addresses...

Hilarious.

While we are at it, could someone explain me please, what was the benefit of having "google cloud" between my PC and my printer again?

Was it that "I don't have to install drivers"?

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]amnotanoobie[/nom]It's not like they were trying to crack into your router. Now if you did leave your router wide open, then it is probably the user's fault. In such a case, scrupulous individuals could just walk by your house and start hacking away. Such individuals would do more harm than google could ever do.[/citation]

Yeah. Bad router manufacturers caused Apple's IPad to misbehave and now we have bad router owners, who could do so much more harm than google could ever do...

Very evil the routers are...

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]amnotanoobie[/nom]It's not like they were trying to crack into your router...[/citation]
You know, on second thought, if you reread:
"...it had been under the impression that it was only collecting MAC addresses and SSID information..."

doesn't it mean they "accidentally collected" something they were under impression not to be collecting?

Could it be, that they were also, uhm, hacking? Of course "accidentally" and again under impression that they weren't really hacking.

silentq

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
if you have no idea how to set up a secure WiFi then don't get a wireless router or ask someone who knows how to do that. Are they gonna sue the neighbour who is connected to their unprotected wifi cuz he/she didn't ask permission to do that? Cmon! People should use common sense especially these days....

G

I think they were trying to find hotspots near public businesses so that when you view the area, it could tell you if a hotspot was available.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
A tricky area. Bad enough "war-driving" but they stepped over the line when they collected "payload" information. I agree with German authorities that this was no "accident."

Otherwise we have to believe that "nobody" at Google knows what they are doing and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near developing software and deploying it into the field for use.

Anybody believe that of Google? Hands anybody?

They knew "exactly" what they were doing and were hoping that nobody would notice.

BAD Google! You are joining Facebook in the "not to be trusted" void.

gncs91

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
obviously its stupid of the users not to secure their network but does that mean anybody can abuse their incapability of setting up a wifi properly?

does an unlocked car give you the right to steal it? pretty sure not! does it mean nobody will do it? no, people will steal it, but it certainly does not mean they wont get sued for stealing it.

G

Why collect payload data? More than likely an unintentional byproduct of collecting SSIDs and MAC addresses (i.e. grabbed a packet or whatever that contained all three). Why collect SSIDs and MAC addresses? Google maps on iPod w/o GPS can jump to and/or track your location based on looking up router SSIDs and MAC addresses in the big, bad, Google database. My feeling is it has equal measures of coolness and objectionableness.

Food for thought. If all wireless router provided a low-bandwidth open channel with restricted access (to Google maps and a select few other trusted services) then you wouldn't need to launch GPS satellites in order to be able to navigate in most urban areas.

All this being said, it's good to know that there's some oversight in these matters, that Google got caught doing something they shouldn't have been doing, and that they hopefully won't be doing it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.