Germany Tightens Censorship Noose Around Game Violence

Status
Not open for further replies.

oserus

Distinguished
May 21, 2007
Can they use the same logic to ban all churches of all denominations? I mean after all the violence statistics are about the same?

frozenlead

Distinguished
Maybe they should pass a law that states:

"Those who have kids should teach them right and wrong, and learn to control them. Out of control children will not be tolerated or compensated for. The rest of society shouldn't suffer for parents' inabilities."

redraider89

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]oserus[/nom]Can they use the same logic to ban all churches of all denominations? I mean after all the violence statistics are about the same?[/citation]

Yeah, especially followers of Islam who regularly actually commit violence and are instructed to commit violence by the founder of their religion, Mohammed, instead of the virtual violence these people are so up tight about.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Let them ban it, it wouldbe really interesting to see if anything positive comes from it.But i doubt that, this is just a panic move done by the government in a feeble be attempt to show people that theyre doing something about it , and of course its backed be people who are even more uppity and frightened.Nothing good will come of it.But this will be a long forgotten memory the next time this happens,but by then they wont have violent video games to kick around,next it will be swearing in public, who knows how far the rabbit hole goes.Looking at symptoms and not the root problem...

G

lol they want to ban all 18+ material huh, funny thing is they allow nazi undead in wolfenstein into the country, very ironic. Columbine brought the same threats, goodluck on enforcing these laws.

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
first of all that comment about muslims was uncalled for. I myself am not muslim and still think that that comment was stupid and very prejudiced. Redraider is just as bad as these german politicians blaming a whole society for a few people's actions.

second of all. thats a stupid law in which the only outcome is a huge problem with game piracy. think america's prohibition laws back in the 1920's

G

My feeling is that the power they have to "ban" things in general is scary and unnecessary. There are plenty of laws to prevent killing. The thought police aren't going to stop anyone.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I'm amazed how many people don't know what freedom actually means, much less what totalitarianism truly is. This is another step towards totalitarianism.

[citation][nom]Redraider89[/nom]Yeah, especially followers of Islam who regularly actually commit violence and are instructed to commit violence by the founder of their religion, Mohammed, instead of the virtual violence these people are so up tight about.[/citation]
You're an idiot.

The people who we call Muslim extremists are just like the 'christians' that bombed abortion clinics. They don't follow the tenants of the religion, and do it under an insane premise.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Homosexuality is a crime, punishable by law
The world is flat, all other stuff rotates around it
That's what happens when majority rules and freedom is put aside in the name of common good.
Well, I for once am for freedom and as freedom of one ends when the freedom of the other begins. So punishable is the action of killing, not the entertainment providers filling the need for entertainment of a minority in general (and probably a vast minority in Germany).
There is a line to be drawn, and I believe that line should be no weapons whatsoever in the hands of citizens whatsoever.
Smoking, drinking and sex are all 18+ materials.
Well, let's ban human biology since we are at that point. It shows what potential the human body has, and it's weaknesses too.
End of Rant

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
The fact that many of the kids who decide to shoot up a school plays videogames means nothing. Its a common hobby for countless amounts of people worldwide of course these kids are likely to play videogames. Its not like every player of violent games is some blood thirsty mass murderer.

Also I just can't stand how they act like violence hasn't existed before video games. I'm sure Genghis Khan, Hitler, Stalin, Nero, and countless other evil men in history are evidence enough that video games or any other type of modern entertainment aren't needed for violent acts to happen.

Also when it comes to school shootings notice that they totally ignore every reason on why the kid said he did such with the note or journal he left behind. Oh no its not because he was victimized by other students and the school did nothing after several attempts of alerting the school about it no its the violent video games fault. Or the fact the shooter likely had a mental problems that went ignored and untreated even though they were painfully obvious and both the parents and the school failed to even acknowledge. But of course no matter what happens its always the videogames fault.

69camaroSS

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Wow, intereseting that everyone is bashing the government. At least they are trying to do something to stop teen violence. We put ratings on games and then ignore them.

This is not about freedom, it is about the government setting social guidelines. It is no different then saying it is wrong to kill or steal. You may disagree with their guidelines, but this isn't a freedom issue. No one is guaranteed the right to play Counterstrike. That is silly.

The real problem is all the over 18 adults that let their kids play 18+ video games. There is a reason they have that rating, and it is because violent video games desensitize young people toward violence, which is never a good thing for a hormonally driven, easily offended teenager.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]69camaroSS[/nom]This is not about freedom, it is about the government setting social guidelines. It is no different then saying it is wrong to kill or steal.[/citation]
Both stealing and killing affect a non-consenting party. The fact of the matter is, everyone is consenting in this case. No one is being harmed against their will.

Setting social guidelines is exactly what totalitarianism does. They tell you what is, and isn't social acceptable, then make it a punishable offense. The government shouldn't tell me what I can and cannot do socially.

[citation][nom]69camaroSS[/nom]You may disagree with their guidelines, but this isn't a freedom issue.[/citation]
If you believe that, you really don't know what freedom is.

They don't believe I should have the freedom to buy specific products. No matter what the reason, they are still taking away my freedoms by banning them.

[citation][nom]69camaroSS[/nom]The real problem is all the over 18 adults that let their kids play 18+ video games. There is a reason they have that rating, and it is because violent video games desensitize young people toward violence, which is never a good thing for a hormonally driven, easily offended teenager.[/citation]

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I read that Germany has one of the oldest populations in the world. Not many kids or teens live in that country because many of the current citizens don't want children. So, what would you expect from a country that has an elderly average age.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Sorry for the DP, something happened and it posted prematurely.

[citation][nom]69camaroSS[/nom]The real problem is all the over 18 adults that let their kids play 18+ video games. There is a reason they have that rating, and it is because violent video games desensitize young people toward violence, which is never a good thing for a hormonally driven, easily offended teenager.[/citation]
Funny, and here I thought the ratings where so parents could make a more informed decision about what products they believe are appropriate for their children.

If they wanted to keep these games away from people under the age of 18, make it a law that people under 18 cannot play games certified as such. But banning says they don't believe anyone can handle it.

[citation][nom]69camaroSS[/nom]violent video games desensitize young people toward violence, which is never a good thing for a hormonally driven, easily offended teenager.[/citation]
Considering I'm still a teenager (technically speaking), I would disagree. I find little interest in acting out the violent actions in see in games. As a previous poster mentioned, there are many more violent things that these same teenagers would be learning in school, especially in Germany.

There is violence in the world. Violent things happen all the time, are you saying that the News doesn't desensitize us from violence? I mean, thousands of people die in violent manners everyday, but it get's compressed into it's little 30 second chunk to fit right next to the sports scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.