Solved! Get a 940mx, save for a better laptop or wait for raven ridge?

Arctic_fox9t9

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
So this likely gets asked a lot but here goes.

I need to upgrade from my old A8-3500m laptop (yes i know im still using a 7 year old laptop) it was fine for the classic games i like to play when i cant use my main gaming rig at home but its really showing it age especally with the old 5400 rpm hdd.

So im trying to decide if i should get a laptop with a low end 940mx/150mx in the 550-650 range, Perhaps save up and get a $750+ laptop with more umph to it or just wait for the raven ridge apus namely the 2700u and use the extra money saved over a higher end system to put in good dual channel ram and a SSD if needed.

Im not looking to play AAA titles on ultra but i would like them to run around 35 fps+ on low, Most of the games i play when mobile are old classic games or have very low graphics and processor requirements as i prefer saving my AAA games for my desktop but again that old 3500m is on its last legs and is struggleing with things like rimworld.

What do you guys think?

Solution
The 940mx is more or less a budget dedicated GPU nowadays. The mx150 the 940mx's successor and it's performance is roughly between that of the GTX 950m and GTX 960m and is considered to be a mainstream GPU. I don't know how good the iGPU in Raven Ridge is supposed to be. I assume it will about equal to the 940m.
The 940mx is more or less a budget dedicated GPU nowadays. The mx150 the 940mx's successor and it's performance is roughly between that of the GTX 950m and GTX 960m and is considered to be a mainstream GPU. I don't know how good the iGPU in Raven Ridge is supposed to be. I assume it will about equal to the 940m.

Solution

Arctic_fox9t9

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Well i dont mind a budget system i mean im using a 7 year old A8-3500m right now thats has about 1/4th the gpu power of an HD 630 and about 1/8 the cpu power of a 7300hq if that tells you anything.

Like i said i have my 4.1 oced 1600X+gtx 1080 rig for AAA titles but im an otr trucker so i want something that can play stuff like skyrim, rimworld, astrox, state of decay and the like at 30 fps.

That said i would prefer to stay at $550 or less but im willing to go upto $750 maybe a bit more for the right system.