Get Real, Gizmodo. iPad Doesn't Fly

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"To the chagrin of many people, there isn’t a way--at least not yet--to jailbreak your iPhone and iPad and tether the iPad through your iPhone’s 3G connection"
This is False, you can Jail break the iPhone 3G and use the program mywi (http://www.rockyourphone.com/index.php/mywi.html) works awesome. Also if you want to jailbreak your iPad you can do that too: http://spiritjb.com/ Please do some research before writing crap. Thank you

djtronika

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]peteo2[/nom]"To the chagrin of many people, there isn’t a way--at least not yet--to jailbreak your iPhone and iPad and tether the iPad through your iPhone’s 3G connection" This is False, you can Jail break the iPhone 3G and use the program mywi (http://www.rockyourphone.com/index.php/mywi.html) works awesome. Also if you want to jailbreak your iPad you can do that too: http://spiritjb.com/ Please do some research before writing crap. Thank you[/citation]

thank you... ive had my iphone (even on 3.1.3) and ipad jailbroken since day one of the spirit release. works wonderfully

mactruck

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
"I would even venture to say it may be the best portable gaming device on the market right now."

I definitely would not. The ipad has critical flaws as a gaming device such as lacking dedicated input options like a d-pad, and a poor assortment of quality games. Maybe you prefer playing Monopoly with your family or bejeweled when alone. I much prefer quality games with depth like head-to-head Tekken with my fiance or 8 hours straight of Advance Wars on my DS when I flew to Japan. Plus, neither of those platforms require a backpack to carry - to me, portable gaming means not carrying a man-purse.

The games and control of those games are far superior on a DS, PSP, or gaming laptop.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
In response to the two above and jail braking, there are a lot of people out there the dont want to void their warranties by jail braking their devices or deal with all of the other technical issues that can be associated with it.

Dont slam the author, his point is valid for 90% of all iProduct users out there.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Peteo2, after some initial research in the jailbreaking iPad/iPhone world, I didn't see anything that could do it. Of course, this is over a slow DSL line in Hawaii while on vacation. I wasn't expecting to look more than 10 minutes, and for anyone who expects things to just work and has no interest in inconveniencing themselves, jailbreaking on the road is just too much work.

That said, cknobman is right. Most people don't jailbreak anyways, nor have the slightest idea of how to (or just don't want to void the warranty).

Mactruck, that's obviously a much larger discussion to have, perhaps something we'll investigate more thoroughly after E3 (depending on whether we see the 3DS from Nintendo and PSP2 from Sony). However, in my experience, just because I'm much more likely to use my iPad for other stuff (same with the iPhone), I play more games on it than any other system. The PSP is simply too old and doesn't do enough and has far too few games available, and the DSi, at least to me, feels a bit out of my demographic. The iPad is large, powerful, has tons of great games and those games are cheaper. But a discussion for another time.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
It's a shame that hotels don't take wifi more seriously. When making reservations I always look for wifi. Even at that though I've been in lots of hotels that had wifi but it didn't work well- didn't reach all rooms, didn't have much speed, constantly disconnected, etc. Once your family is in the hotel and settled, they don't want to move to another hotel just for dad to get wifi, and by then there may not be any other hotels available.

I wouldn't have any problem with carrying an ipad AND a laptop. I have a pretty small/light laptop, and I always carry my DSLR and associated stuff, so adding the ipad into the same bag wouldn't be a big deal. My current laptop + ipad would still be lighter than my old laptop by itself and I carried it all over the place.

For short trips though I might be fine with just an ipad.

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I can't really understand how people can justify the price of $500 for the iPad. If it had OS X and a removable stylus I would understand but without a proper OS, $500 is a complete ripoff. I hope the HP Slate comes with Windows 7 but even then there is the Achos 9 that comes with Windows 7, touchscreen, virtual keyboard and a stylus at $550.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
The iPad does manny things right and I think this article makes some valid points too. I see the iPad as the beginning of a new computing era, as manny, but not a revolution yet. Phones and PDAs where so so for almost everything but tablets may actually start to shine in manny aspects to the point where they will be your main mobile computer (But not yet). I have an iPod Touch and recently I tried a 3D modeling app for this device, beside a bunch of racing games. Don't get me wrong, I know it is limited as I use Maya, but is there already and I couldn't wait to travel just to entertain myself doing something with it. Obviously the iPad would be a better platform now for this 3D app and, allow me to dream, in the future with a more powerful processor and that ISP 10' screen I could start to do some serious job. I may buy the second gen. But is good apps and software or OS what makes really usable the hardware.

G

Ah, iPad as a gaming device? It's all casual, retro and kids games. Stick with an Ion netbook or something like the Alienware M11x.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
ack, there are at least 20 "hardcore" games available on the iPad. Need for Speed Shift, NOVA HD, Real Racing HD, Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3, Geometry Wars...that's just to name a few, off the top of my head. The fact that most of these games are cheaper, that the iPad is more powerful and has a much larger screen makes it a great gaming device. Sure, it has no real buttons, yet developers are still putting great games on it.

What do you think is the number one category of apps on the app store?

G

Those "hardcore" games would barely qualify as regular games 5 years ago.

And the touch-only interface will always limit its gaming potential.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Compared to what on the DS or PSP? Bear in mind that the iPad has been out for less than 2 months, and companies haven't even begun to test out how much it can handle, compared to the five years of the PSP and DS.

blair223

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
WiFi is notoriously poor or absentent. I always bring a small wireless AP with me when I travel. Only cost about $50 and has been a lifesaver.

brianmoz

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
gosh that typing experience sounded so traumatic. here here let us console you. everything sucks on a plane. food sucks, seats suck even the air sucks. Im sure there will be keybords that convert the ipad into a laptop really soon for easier typing. there is money in it and so it'll happen. as for now toughen up

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
No worries brianmoz, I had my laptop as well so once I finally got fed up with trying to work on the iPad I switched. And by the way, not everything sucks on the plane! I got a free upgrade and sat next to two small and very quiet people!

G

Hey Jaime, quit your crying. How long have you been using your laptop? That's what I thought, years and years. Like anything new the flat keyboard takes some time to use to. By the way, chew down your painted finger nails, it'll make the typing a little easier.

sakanagai

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
For my first trip out of town after getting my iPad 3G, I took only the iPad. I had to take notes at a meeting and that's where I noticed that Pages had a nasty problem of simply ignoring spelling errors when you type quickly. I hadn't brought an external keyboard with me. Connectivity wasn't too big of a concern with 3G (well, EDGE in that area), but the lack of Flash made looking up restaurants a pain in the neck; I never noticed how many have websites built on it until the first three on our list failed to load properly. I did have access to wifi most of the time there, but that wouldn't have solve these two issues.

I have a bluetooth keyboard now for traveling. It fits well enough in my case even if it is difficult to find a stable place to use it. And I bring at least one laptop along, too.

G

I totally agree with this article. I'm an underwater welder, and there is NO WAY the iPad is replacing my diving equipment and welder. Gizmodo was way off.

Status
Not open for further replies.