Getting better GoPro footage using adapters?

_JakeDavies

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
Thanks in advance to anyone that help's out,

I've recently invested into a drone that carries my GoPro Hero 4 Black on a 3-axis gimbal. It works great, footage is lovely and smooth without shakeynous but I want to 'Brighten' up the colours a little bit and get rid of the horrible fish eye effect around the edge of the footage.

I'm aware that you can get ND filter mounts for GoPro's so is there any such thing as a lens adapter that will make the footage look a bit better and get rid of the fisheye in favour of a wide angle lens?

I know I could brighten the footage up in editing but I want the raw footage that comes straight from the camera to look good. I don't mind having a massive looking lense adapter on the GoPro as long as it is sturdy enough to not fall of and give the footage a better look.

Thanks once again to anyone that helps.

Solution

100% of adapters will make things look WORSE. It's just the nature of well tuned optics. The best thing you can do is get a hood to block stray light and learn how to deal with the limited dynamic range in a productive way.

gilbadon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
I am pretty sure there is a setting on the black to reduce the wide angle to a standard angle image. I may be thinking of another camera. I have a black but have not tried it yet.
Play around on the actual camera first because filters and adapters will never be as clean as what will come through naturally.

100% of adapters will make things look WORSE. It's just the nature of well tuned optics. The best thing you can do is get a hood to block stray light and learn how to deal with the limited dynamic range in a productive way.

Solution