Getting the most out of my SteelSeries Arctis Pro + GameDAC

swoo

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
Hello everyone,

I just recently upgraded my headseat after about 4 years. Before, I was using the Astro A40's and while the sound was good, I found the fact that it had 3 different places where wires came together caused enough feedback that it was annoying for people to watch me on twitch. In addition the microphone for the A40's just wasn't up to par so I upgraded to the SteelSeries Arctis Pro + GameDAC.

I seem to struggle to have everything set up for optimal sound.The EQ seems easy enough to set up, but for some reason the sound doesn't sound terribly full. I purchased this headset because it appeared to have some of the best sound on the market as it has "HiRes" capability. The best way I can describe it, is when you are using headphones with a 3.5mm jack, the jack isn't inserted all the way and the sound isn't full until you plug it in all the way? Hopefully most of you know what I mean there. Whenever I try to turn on the DTS it spazzes out whenever League of Legends loads into game and it almost sounds like its underwater.

Is there an issue with the ASUS sound software that tries to interfere with the SteelSeries DAC? Is there a setting I am missing? I have been having to turn everything up quite a bit higher than I had on my A40's, and I feel like I shouldn't have this issue on such a newer headset. I don't believe there to be manufacturers issue as I feel like there is something I am missing. With this headset being driven by USB, I feel as though my system is mismanaging it somehow.

Finally to note, yes I have the volume knob turned all the way up and all connections are tight and secure. I have tried running the optical cable and usb at the same time while plugging in the USB, but then I can't use my Mic and the audio skips for a split second repeatedly until I unplug the optical cable again.

I really hope someone can help me here, I really like the headset.

Solution
Have you turned the gain to high in the gamedac? It's in the audio section. I was underwhelmed until I read a post somewhere and turned it up. Noticeable difference.

Lutfij

Splendid
The external DAC/sound card is USB driven so your audio drivers(Asus/Realtek) have no relation in the matter. Rather, have you made sure your USB and chispet drivers are up to date? Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Speaking fo which, mind sharing your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

When in-game, have you made sure your default audio output device is your headset/usb sound card?

swoo

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014

Thanks for your reply,

Intel i7-4790K
Nvidia GeForce 1080
16gbs HyperX RAM
Sabertooth z97 Motherboard
ASUS AC-1900 PCE card (thought I use a hardline)
NZXT Phantom 410 Case (white)
Samsun Evo 850 500gb SSD
Seagate 1TB additional drive
My PSU is a Corsair 850

I have set defaults for both the headset and the mic, but I can re-check that when I get home. I have not bothered to check for updates to chipsets, usbs, or my BIOS but I would be shocked that that would cause issue? Could you explain that maybe, and if so where would I go for those, the ASUS website? I always hate installing those updates because it's never as simple as installing new software.

Sep 19, 2018
Have you turned the gain to high in the gamedac? It's in the audio section. I was underwhelmed until I read a post somewhere and turned it up. Noticeable difference.

Solution