Glasses-Free Could Stunt Growth of 3D Tech, Says FOX

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the PEVE conference in London, Danny Kaye, executive vice president, Global Research and Technology Strategy at Twentieth Century Fox, said that glasses-free 3D TV technology and lame real-time 2D to 3D conversions are doing more harm that good to the emerging 3D industry, showing the negative side of what 3D imaging has to offer.

It's his pet peve.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
The real-time 3D conversion thing I can agree with. It's pretty pointless. However, glasses-free 3D is the only way to really push 3D into the market big-time. A lot of people, myself included, see expensive, goofy-looking glasses as a barrier to get into 3D. Passive 3D, with the cheaper, lighter, less goofy glasses is definitely an improvement as well.

thehelix

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Having done some research on the subject, i dont think glass-free 3D is going to become much more viable. I think the people who want it to prevail have in mind something more like holographic imaging than 3D TV, which is a while diferrent thing all together.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
[citation][nom]Kyuuketsuki[/nom]The real-time 3D conversion thing I can agree with. It's pretty pointless. However, glasses-free 3D is the only way to really push 3D into the market big-time. A lot of people, myself included, see expensive, goofy-looking glasses as a barrier to get into 3D. Passive 3D, with the cheaper, lighter, less goofy glasses is definitely an improvement as well.[/citation]
Look at what LG is offering my good man :) Affordable, not cheap :)

jamesjones_det

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
To me the sub-par technology is the glasses.

I don't really have any interest in 3D if I have to ware glasses or sit at a specific angle, until they can correct those issue I really don't see 3D ever really taking off.

And if you want me to be brutally honest most of the movies with 3D glass still look like crap, I understand the point this guy is trying to make but to me the whole 3D industry as it stands is flawed making his comment a moot point.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I saw Avatar in I-Max 3D. This was m last 3D experience. Due to technical difficulties everyone in the audience got 2 free tickets to see another Imax movie at that theater in the future. The image kept going in and out of 3D with one eye losing the 3D aspect.

I know the technology is better today than a decade ago but it still has numerous problems even when it works "as intended". I had high hopes for 3D given the surge from the movie industry with multi-title 3D contracts being signed over the last couple of years. I am going to continue to avoid 3D for the near future and anyone asking me about 3D in their home will get that same advice.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002

maddy143ded

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
glasses free 3d takes away the opportunity to make after-market sales of prohibitively expensive glasses to customers who have more then two people at home ,(as is the case in most homes.
is it more preferable to set up 9 different place in the tv room or buy nine glasses?
its all about being capitalist. if you buy glasses free tv today they make less money tommorrow.
also the people making 3d conversion equipment loose buisness, in a dying market.

win7guru

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
I tried 3D in the movie theater... Most movies tend to render the 3D after recording, which makes it crap. $3 extra for two 3D scenes over the course of 2 hrs is complete bs.

robertito

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
I already were glasses so the additional set of glasses is my biggest complaint. The 3d ones always skew my regular ones and it gives me a wicked headache.

carnetarian

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
I have absolutely hated 3D from the beginning, and I can't for this stupid fad to die out again. It gives me a headache, looks terrible, and detracts from the plot of the movie.

It's nothing but an annoying gimmick used to try to distract people from how weak the actual content of the movie is.

BigMack70

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
3D being overhyped and overpriced is what stunts 3D growth...

IMO it's not much more than a marketing gimmick to jack up TV and movie ticket prices higher. I have been incredibly unimpressed by every single application of 3D that I've seen.

No thanks.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
3D is hurting 3D, no one want to wear glasses that muddy up the screen , about half the country doesn't even see any difference becasue the tech requires near perfect vision to work . but the biggest factor 3d has against it is the fact that the industry is trying to milk even more money out of consumers for 3d based tech.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Active glasses are the most functional way of viewing 3d:

orientation of head less of an issue.
no sacrifice to resolution/quality

Parallax and polarized are no where near active shutter.

And please people, love yourselves more; "goofy" glasses should in no way be a factor in your enjoyment of 3d content. Tech sites across the net are full of fashionistas complaining about how they look while having fun. As a tech, if i can wear a pink and purple haptic wetsuit, with helmet and goggles to match, bring it on, if it improves my gaming experience.

G

A better idea is to just use polarized projection like they do in theaters, instead of this image shutter stuff and the goofy glasses.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I disagree about glasses-free tech sucking as they suggested. The TV shown during CES (or NAB?) that used hundreds of projectors on to a screen making it glasses free and viewable from any angle. Literally moving around from side to side you could look around the object on screen while being completely independent from what other viewers see. It was really impressive.
http://gizmodo.com/5855501/worlds-largest-glasses+free-3d-tv-is-200+inches-of-awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.