Question Glossy screen high power laptop needed with windows pro capability for work - please help

Apr 22, 2022
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a relatively high powered laptop for work that is capable of loading large maps with a glossy/reflective screen. My old laptop (HP Zbook) needs replacing, but most laptop specs don't seem to list the screen finish! A lot say 'anti-glare' which is not really what I am looking for.

If anyone has a model they can suggest or any insight I would very much appreciate it.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
but I have also seen others that look more matte. So hard to tell online!

that looks like gloss.

Touch screen laptops are typically gloss as well.

personally i prefer the HP ZBooks as they are ruggedized and conform to Mil-Spec 810G testing. I've dropped mine a few times and it's fine.

Price goes down with generation, but some also have matte screens, but they are relatively easy to replace or have replaced.

requirement for a glossy screen relates to an accessibility requirement for visual stress caused by the texture on matte or anti-glare screens.

Sorry if this question is inappropriate but would this accessibility requirement be caused by a spectrum disorder?

Apr 22, 2022
that looks like gloss.

Touch screen laptops are typically gloss as well.

personally i prefer the HP ZBooks as they are ruggedized and conform to Mil-Spec 810G testing. I've dropped mine a few times and it's fine.

Price goes down with generation, but some also have matte screens, but they are relatively easy to replace or have replaced.

Sorry if this question is inappropriate but would this accessibility requirement be caused by a spectrum disorder?

Thanks for the response. I love my Z-book but it's very old and overdue replacement with components regularly failing after many years of good use. When I ordered a newer version it came with a matte screen and the HP technicians on the phone were not overly helpful. I did wonder about touch-screen, so that is an interesting consideration.

(I also know that there are plenty of people out there who prefer not to have a glossy reflective screen so I can't believe it's not something they include on online specs!)

The accessibility requirement is linked to visual stress caused by Irlen Syndrome. It seems counter-intuitive that something reflective would be the solution, but that's the only way I have found to stop headaches when focussing on screen and keep my reading speed up to norm.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
Thanks for the response. I love my Z-book but it's very old and overdue replacement with components regularly failing after many years of good use.

My current laptop is a ZBook 17 G2, it's been very reliable and they are quite cheap on eBay.

HP technicians on the phone were not overly helpful.

Avoid HP phone support, they are outsourced to offices in Kolkata, which coincidentally is the same city where Dell and Lenovo's support is, as well as a myriad of tech support scammers.

(I also know that there are plenty of people out there who prefer not to have a glossy reflective screen so I can't believe it's not something they include on online specs!)

My 17 G2 uses a matte screen.

Irlen Syndrome

Thank you for the research topic, I learn something new every day.

but that's the only way I have found to stop headaches when focussing on screen and keep my reading speed up to norm.

What else have you tried? I'd like to know before I attempt to suggest other things.

Honestly, you can usually just order a replacement screen off eBay and they usually aren't too difficult to replace even for new users.