Go Retro: Dragon's Lair Confirmed for iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I want to buy this, can't wait to see it.
But I did have a bad experience with Space Ace though. There is a bug in the cadet skill level in 'borf's ship' when you energize the second time, when you try to move Ace to the left (or right if mirror image scene), it is the wrong move as if he faces left for example, the wrong move 'right' is the only thing that will make you succeed. The company Digital Leisure has not answered me even after 3 attempts (via iTunes, via their web site and via e-mail).

Let us hope they keep the $4.99 price and don't get greedy because it is the classic Dragon's Lair.

G

"Who actually cares about this? Oh no one? that's what i thought.."

I would say a lot of people. Many, myself included, love going back to the games we grew up on from time to time. Nostalgia sells, its a fact.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
This is PRECISELY what I have been talking about in terms of the quality of games lately. This game is HOW MANY YEARS OLD??? and it is STILL bad ASS. Did you know that the original game in the arcade used a Laser Disc to store all the information on? Anyway, Dragons Lair, on the iPhone. Unreal. Game companies need to pay special attention to this kind of stuff.

troger5troger5

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
What kids need to understand is that when these types of games came out, the only way to play them was to ask mommy and daddy, or who ever had a car, to take them to the mall or arcade room. Once there, you may be waiting in line for a bit to drop all your allowance into an arcade machine. Thing was you didn’t care because these machines were like gods from the future and you worship their greatness. Dragon's Lair was one of these gods and now us older folk can play them on our phone. Anything that is played now a day is just something that has been remade and remade better with newer faster technology. I love to see the tech / graphics get better trust me but nothing will bring the original feeling back of the gods until the halo deck from star trek gets invented.

troger5troger5

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
edit for my post. the last line should have read:

I love to see the tech/graphics get better, trust me, but nothing will bring the original feeling back of the HOLOdeck from Star Trek gets invented.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]troger5troger5[/nom]What kids need to understand is that when these types of games came out, the only way to play them was to ask mommy and daddy, or who ever had a car, to take them to the mall or arcade room. Once there, you may be waiting in line for a bit to drop all your allowance into an arcade machine. Thing was you didn’t care because these machines were like gods from the future and you worship their greatness.[citation][nom]troger5troger5[/nom]What kids need to understand is that when these types of games came out, the only way to play them was to ask mommy and daddy, or who ever had a car, to take them to the mall or arcade room. Once there, you may be waiting in line for a bit to drop all your allowance into an arcade machine. Thing was you didn’t care because these machines were like gods from the future and you worship their greatness...[/citation]
citation]

Dude you are 100% correct. The word "arcade" does not have the same meaning now as it did back when the video game revolution started. I would save, borrow, steal...whatever it took to get a bag full of quarters and then to beg mom to take me to the arcade Saturday afternoon. It was a(and here is the important word of the day) privilege to be able to go to the arcade and to play these games. It was a time (most likely only once a week) where you could go and enjoy a true arcade experience. It was not something that was demanded every single day of your life.

I love the arcade so much I got me a job at one when I was a teenager. Best.Job.Ever. It was the classic arcade. Dark, every wall filled with standups, pinball alley. the newest games were showcased near the entrance, volumes were cranked up, huge crowds standing around to watch. I remember Dragon's Lair release extremely well. 2 monitors were mounted on top of the game itself so everyone in the massive crowd around it could see the gameplay. Kids would show up with rolls of quarters waiting for an hour just to play the game. Classic arcade.

I enjoy places like Dave & Busters but it has nothing on the originals. Places like Yesterday's and Starcade. Stop at the pizzeria next door and get you a "big as your head" slice of pizza and a large drink for $1.50 and then go get the weekend special of 150 tokens for $20. Life was good.

G

Yes arcades did kick ass back in the day. But as graphically advanced as DL was, game play was horrible. It was nothing other than pressing the joystick in the right direction at the right time to continue the LaserDisc video (yes, LaserDisc is one word when describing the Pioneer format, not "laser-disk" as written in the article the first time, nor "laser-disc" as written later).

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]drut1234[/nom]Yes arcades did kick ass back in the day. But as graphically advanced as DL was, game play was horrible. It was nothing other than pressing the joystick in the right direction at the right time to continue the LaserDisc video (yes, LaserDisc is one word when describing the Pioneer format, not "laser-disk" as written in the article the first time, nor "laser-disc" as written later).[/citation]

I agree. The game was horrible to play. I remember the many of times I would press left and Dirk would swing right and die. It would take many quarters because of slow response.

The reason I think Dragon's Lair stands out so much, even today, is the memory of time. The people who were around that era and witnessed what I described earlier as the "video game revolution" are nostalgic for those earlier games. As poor as the play was, DL was cutting edge. It may not compare today but for 1983 there was nothing that could touch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.