G

kind of a confusing message, how about:

EVERY TIME YOU TORRENT
WE LAY OFF AN EMPLOYEE

elasticman

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
almost 9.5$ to watch a movie .
large popcorn with 2 medium soda's for about 12.9$...
and they cry!
we,the audience should be crying! but instead we are torrenting...
god is HELPING us...
these are the prices in Israel some places take even more on the popcorn+soda

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Thats awful blaming it on God.
God doesn't kill cinemas, pirates and the greedy megacorps represented by the MPAA do.

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
[citation][nom]asjflask[/nom]I think a class action lawsuit should be filed on behalf of God and all His creations because this is ad is libel.[/citation] +1

Torrents are not bad... It is just a method of sharing information; I know a bunch of pple that share linix and open source code.those who put this sign up; definitly have one thing in mind that is money.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I agree that torrent does affect the movie sale in one degree. However, I believe most of the down of ticket sale on the cinemas are due to that more and more people now prefer to wtach the movies at home with their HDTV, dirt cheap home popped popcorns, and $1/1L soda. With increase of popularity of streaming, BD, and DVD upscaling... and the bigger and higher resolution HDTVs... it is not a surprise that cinemas are not doing good business..

Without invesment on better quality of movie experience, cheaper food/drink, and better service... the nature selection of cinemas is going to be tougher and tougher by time...

The current trent of 3D movies(just too expensive) and Digital projection are a nice way to go.

While all the media playform are improving so fast these days... the old cenimas really need find a way to catch on the bus.. or they will just be left behind.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I think its weird Public Enemies is still playing in Britain. I know things don't always hop across the pond very quickly, but that seems a bit old.

And besides, is the story of John Dillinger even known in Europe, or are they simply banking on Johnny Depp to sell it to an international audience.

I'm sorry I think I got off track, what was this story about again?

-unknown-

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I always find it disappointing when people show a clear lack of knowledge in a subject they argue. Torrenting isn't a bad thing in and of itself (from their perspective anyways), its people who distribute a movie without paying that would be arguably a negative thing. It would be like saying, "Every time you travel, another baby dies of pollution", travelling isn't bad in and of it self, its how you travel (ie. did you walk, drive a gas-guzzler, take a bus, etc)

G

God's not killing anything, people do, and if you'd really believe in a God, then it would perhaps be the devil who's doing the killing!

I'm tired of God getting blamed for everything we do ourselves!
steal, and God brings you to jail too? (Unless you adore cops, I don't think there's much of God in killing anything, neither is there much of God in cinema's playing ungodly stuff, so I think God wouldn't even waste 1 second of his time killing a cinema...)
He probably has much more important things to do than that!

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Sure if you can find the good quality movies prelaunch, but how often are they available? Most of the time it's just not the quality you get in the cinema. People only watch those close to launch releases to know what everyone is talking about and wait until the dvd is out or the movies shows up on television to look at it with decent quality.

The problem isn't that people are torrenting the movies, it's that the cinema is too expansive and not adding enough value anymore. And I don't disagree with them. There are so many advantages for not going to the cinema. Can pause when I want, I can grab my cheap popcorn and soda, I can watch more relax don't have to worry about anyone else talking, don't have to worry about anyone sitting in front of me blocking the view.

The problem isn't torrenting, it's the cinema. As soon as they find ways to get us back in, torrenting will go down. And we can also say that DVD, blueray and streaming kills cinema, all legal but that doesn't sound that great now does it?

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
instead of forking over up to ten bucks to watch the same titles

Wow, I wish movies were only up to $10. :( I haven't been to a theater in a couple years (I rent now that I have kids), but last time I went I'm pretty sure it was like $11.50 per person.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I don't pirate movies... I try to go at least every other weekend but that rarely happens.

One suggestion... maybe if people weren't cornered into paying rape prices for concessions... more people would goto a movie. Paying up to $10 per person is bad enough... but then if you want anything to eat or drink, you get to pay at least 500% markup from what you'd get the same thing for at the store.

The closest theater to me does $4.75 5pm-6pm showings, so I usually try to make those.

Status
Not open for further replies.