Godfather of Spam Slapped with 4-Year Sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Manipulating the nation economy: 4 years in prision.

Public Urination: Jail time, sex offenders list, and no privacy after jail time has been served.

G

More, please!
I think spam creators are in the same line as sexual predators, murderers, and serial killers!

xenorm

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Only four years? And I'll bet he gets computer access in prison too... It's time for a CAN-SPAM Offenders List; it should include thier name, home address, personal email address, and daytime phone number.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]kyeana[/nom]Manipulating the nation economy: 4 years in prision.Public Urination: Jail time, sex offenders list, and no privacy after jail time has been served.[/citation]
Hey man, stop pissing in the street. :)

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
[citation][nom]kyeana[/nom]Manipulating the nation economy: 4 years in prision.Public Urination: Jail time, sex offenders list, and no privacy after jail time has been served.[/citation]

isn't the criminal system amazing

balev

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
So it's wrong for this fella to manipulate the economy and make profit, but big corps do it every day and it's ok?

What a joke...

balev

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
It's wrong for this fella to manipulate the economy, yet for big corps (with possible political involvement) it's ok?

What a joke?

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I sincerely hate spam, but I'm missing the issue with their approach. They sent out messages to get people to buy something in order to make a profit. How is this different from any other business model?

I question the necessity of the CAN SPAM act.

PS: Buying stock because of a "tip" you get from spam is rather silly.

Pop-up #1: "Hey big boy. Click this button for a great time."

Pop-up #2: "Zomg. Toilet paper stock is skyrocketing. Buy yours now!"

G

Now I absolutely despise spam just as much as the next person, but I am curious about the law that these men supposedly broke and why it seems a little hypocritical to me.

To say they "manipulated stocks" seems a little to extreme to me. What they did was essentially aggressively advertising a product they owned stock it, which is something that companies do all the time anyways. I could argue that the commercials I see every day are spam. Matter of fact, pick any particular or specific commercial currently airing on TV and I see that many more times a day than I do any particular or specific spam e-mail in my inbox. I am "spammed" by commercials a lot more than I am "spammed" by e-mails, yet that is perfectly legal. Those companies advertising on TV are doing it to sell a product and in turn inflate their company stock prices, essentially the same thing that these men did, regardless of whether they owned the company or not, it is still basically the same thing. But that is legal, and what they did is not. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.