Going back to school for a Nursing program. What to buy?

Chaby

Estimable
Dec 9, 2014
As the title mentions, I'm going back to school on Monday and I have an IT session tonight. I have my own built rig at home with me for the majority of my paper writing and gaming (i5-2500k/ GTX970). But, I was wondering what would be something worth looking into buying for in class/ library work while at the schools campus as Ill be having an hour commute. Price range can really vary for me as I'm open to anything that will be worth the addition.

legokill101

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
I would personally recommend a business laptop ideally a ultrabook as from my experience they just have less issues in general, the other options would be either to buy a Chromebook, or to get either a surface pro 3 or surface 3. Quick question though what screen size do you want? expected battery life? and

timeconsumer

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
When I was in college I had two different notebooks, a big, heavy 17" beast with a dedicated GPU and a 2 hour battery life. And a smaller, lightweight machine with way more battery life. I almost never took the big one with me anywhere.

For light office tasks and browsing your hardware won't make much of a difference. I would just get something lightweight with a long battery life and a keyboard that isn't too small to type comfortably. Something like a 15" with an i3 and SSD would be what I would look at. I'd go refurbished lenovo or something like that.

Chaby

Estimable
Dec 9, 2014
Well my days will be typically 8am to 3:30pm so I'd like to get an 8 hour battery life, but being on a campus It wouldn't be to difficult to remain plugged in when need be. Screen size isn't to much of a concern for me but I game on 2x 24 inch monitors at the moment so least shock factor due to screen reduction as possible. I guess my primary concerns would be Comfort and dependability of use, Battery life, Screen size. I don't have to have anything with 500gb (thought I would prefer ssd speeds)
because I will only be using this strictly for schoolwork (or streaming Netflix in class instead of it) and no gaming.

Chaby

Estimable
Dec 9, 2014

I havent given these a look yet, thanks for the link.

timeconsumer

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
The reason I suggest 15" is mainly for the bigger keyboard. Typing on a keyboard on a 13" notebook makes me angry. 14" is decent too, depends on what you're used to. Go into a store and play around with a few.