Good 7.1 Surround Sound Headphones

NR3600

Estimable
Nov 5, 2014
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for good pair of 7.1 surround sound headphones. Price should be around 300$ or less, although I could go a bit over if needed. Aesthetics don't really matter to me, as long as it's not too flashy. I'm going to be using these for gaming, however I'm looking for one without a microphone because of past experiences with headsets that have a microphone... The way it plugs into the computer doesn't matter, USB or regular audio jacks will work fine.

Thanks a lot!

Solution
Since you have that kind of budget, I'd recommend a headset that doesn't use virtual, but actual 7.1 surround.

I currently use the Tiamat 7.1. These have true 7.1 surround with 5 drivers in each ear cup. The run around $200. The Asus Strix 7.1 will be out and has a larger driver for the front speakers (40mm rather than 30mm) and should provide a fuller sound and better stereo sound. Both headsets have boom style mics on them though.

I'm not sure if there is a true surround headset without a mic on it since the demand is primarily for that of gamers.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Since you have that kind of budget, I'd recommend a headset that doesn't use virtual, but actual 7.1 surround.

I currently use the Tiamat 7.1. These have true 7.1 surround with 5 drivers in each ear cup. The run around $200. The Asus Strix 7.1 will be out and has a larger driver for the front speakers (40mm rather than 30mm) and should provide a fuller sound and better stereo sound. Both headsets have boom style mics on them though.

I'm not sure if there is a true surround headset without a mic on it since the demand is primarily for that of gamers.

Solution

hysteria357

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
does it have to be 7.1? You can still get surround without using simulated surround or multiple tiny drivers. for $300 you can get yourself a really high end audio system with open headphones (which have a much better soundstage, for more depth), and a modmic that attaches to the headphones (if you want it down the line).

Headphones: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A or http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2/

DAC to power the heahphones more efficiently and handle audio processing: http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E10K-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00LP3AMC2

This setup will give you better surround capability and sound quality than the "simulated" 7.1 will.

t3naci0ust

Estimable
Dec 5, 2014
I personally love my Tiamat 7.1's but you have to make sure you configure them. Alot of people don't run the right equipment with them which makes them sound muttled. I( once i figured this out) love them to death.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

This is completely true with the Tiamats. You do have to make adjustments to the balances to get them to your liking.

Also, most good headphones require some sort of break-in period. These took somewhere between 40 and 60 hours of usage to break in for me. At first they sounded a little thin. Now they sound great.

If you're looking for good stereo audio, I'd definitely look at something specifically designed for that, but from a gaming standpoint, you can't beat the Tiamats.

I've used both virtual surround on other headphones (G35s) and Tiamats. The difference between the Tiamats and virtual is with virtual, you can't tell if someone is coming from behind you or in front of you. As a result, it's almost more confusing because you're assuming the virtual surround is going to help you out somehow. You want it to, but it just doesn't. With the 7.1 headset, it's like taking a 7.1 surround speaker system and just moving it closer to your head.

With the Tiamat's, you know if something is going on behind or in front of you and to which direction (left or right). I have actually been able to audibly pinpoint enemies in the prone position firing at me in BF4 (even if there's no muzzle flash) with the Tiamat's. That says something. I could never do that with virtual surround.

t3naci0ust

Estimable
Dec 5, 2014
I've noticed a big difference, with my buddy who has Turtle beach sevens and mine. While his has a better music profile, mine are like 20% better at the spacial awareness, and I don't have to deal with his complicated as fudge audio controller.