Good gaming/business travel laptop

scorpioknight

Estimable
Jun 1, 2015
Hello all - I am looking for a solid gaming laptop that also has good battery life as best as it can get. I know it's difficult to find both. So far Razer has been my #1 pick. However, the price has me stumped. I don't need a laptop that is superb at gaming since I only play once in awhile. I also don't play intense games at max settings.

I know for sure I want Intel i7, an above average decent graphics card, and a solid battery life since I travel often.

Are you looking for a dual core or quad core i7 in your laptop?

A quad core i7 is naturally more powerful and will generally provide better gaming performance, but it consumes up to 3x more power than a lower end Core i7 "u' model CPU will affect battery life. Between the "u" model Core i5 and Core i7 CPUs; like the i5-5200u and the i7-5500u; there is not much difference other than the higher clock speed. The Core i7 also has a little more internal cache, but that generally has no effect on games, it's more for CPU intensive computations like doing financial modelling or data mining.

At best a quad core i7 will likely get you 4 or at best 5 hours of average daily usage; no gaming. A laptop with a dual core i5 / i7 can have battery life of up to 7 or 8 hours. There are some that can provide 9+ hours, but they do not have dedicated graphics. Playing a game while running on battery probably means you are looking at around 1.5 hours of battery life in the best case scenario.