Solved! Good gaming laptop

wowlaptop

Great
Nov 19, 2018
Looking for a gaming laptop to play World of Warcraft comfortably.

So far I was suggested the following:

- CPU Intel 7th generation i7 8750H.

- GPU video card Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB (desktop-like).

- 16GB RAM.

- 256GB SSD.

- 1TB HDD.

- Screen 17.3" 144HZ.

- Good thermals - fans and heat pipes.

My budget is about 1000-1250 Euros

Currently this model is available for about 1375 Euros (ASUS FX705GM-EV101T):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-FX705GM-EV101T-Bezel-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B07HH5XR8K/

As I understand the products are slightly overpriced now (despite being a slightly newer model but the specs are nothing new, although at a better price now), given the deficit of Intel CPUs and stockpile of old GTX cards (overestimated for Bitcoin craze), as well as RTX coming out at the beginning of 2019 and bringing the prices down for the older models - my understanding is that they attempted to sell old ones first at high prices, now they slowly dropping them and more is expected soon. For reference today's prices are similar to offers in September.

My question is if my specs are decent and what about the linked model? It is the cheapest at that specs or is it too good to be true for a reason? Heard about thermal issues. Also, when should I expect the listed specs at my budget price?

Thanks!

Solution
Any 'Thin' laptop will have thermal issues, well let's be honest, every laptop has thermal issues. The specs look good though I don't really see how it would be able to push 144 hz with a 1060, especially in a mobile chassis. As for the price dropping, I don't see that happening any time soon with the CPU prices going up. If you can, I'd wait until you have a bit more money on hand, maybe get something that's a bit better value per dollar. Do you absolutely need a laptop or would you be willing to get a desktop? You can build a budget desktop for 1/5 of the price with relatively similar performance.

prince_xaine

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
Any 'Thin' laptop will have thermal issues, well let's be honest, every laptop has thermal issues. The specs look good though I don't really see how it would be able to push 144 hz with a 1060, especially in a mobile chassis. As for the price dropping, I don't see that happening any time soon with the CPU prices going up. If you can, I'd wait until you have a bit more money on hand, maybe get something that's a bit better value per dollar. Do you absolutely need a laptop or would you be willing to get a desktop? You can build a budget desktop for 1/5 of the price with relatively similar performance.

Solution