Good gaming only headphones

Kuehn4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2016
So I've looked around online for some headphones , but there are a lot of videos and posts and the "best" headphones. The problem with these though is that most of them are for listening to music as well. So I came here to ask for some opinions.

I'm looking for a pair of HEADPHONES under $100-$150 or so. I'd prefer them to be closed back, but if there are really excellent cans that are open backed, let me know.
I will really only use these for gaming, mainly FPS games like CSGO and other similar games as I expand my library. They don't need to be portable as they'll only stay in my room.
Also, will a soundcard or amp be better for gaming? I've read that sound cards are the best, but if not let me know. Also let me know what soundcard would be good.
I've looked at the Sennheiser HD598 or Audio Technica ATH M50X, but people say the sennheiser aren't that good for gaming. Leave your opiniona below.
I have a mic, so only headphones.

Solution
quite frankly there is and never will be a "best" headphone. there are headphones that do certain things better than others however ultimately what you consider "best" heavily depends on your needs and preferences as well as personal taste.

why closed? unless you need the noise isolation due to loud ambient volume levels open is the way to go for the wider soundstage as well as being cooler (less hot to wear).

can a soundcard or amp help? yes, in some cases while no in others. some headphones need an external amp, while some benefit from a soundcard while others run fine on onboard. it depends on what headphones you pick as well as the quality of the equipment you're running on now. is a soundcard better than an amp? not always its...
quite frankly there is and never will be a "best" headphone. there are headphones that do certain things better than others however ultimately what you consider "best" heavily depends on your needs and preferences as well as personal taste.

why closed? unless you need the noise isolation due to loud ambient volume levels open is the way to go for the wider soundstage as well as being cooler (less hot to wear).

can a soundcard or amp help? yes, in some cases while no in others. some headphones need an external amp, while some benefit from a soundcard while others run fine on onboard. it depends on what headphones you pick as well as the quality of the equipment you're running on now. is a soundcard better than an amp? not always its very situation dependent.

m50x has a tiny soundstage so its not ideal for gaming. it gets overhyped very badly as some perfect headphone. i personally own an m50 and while i like it (for music) and i have used it briefly for a few games (i use speakers mostly) i am well aware of its limitations. the dt770 (though that needs an amp) is much much better and is the same sort of sound signature with a wider soundstage (though since its closed its still not a huge soundstage).

did you mean the sennheiser hd598? if someone said that is bad for gaming then they are mistaken.

what works best for you depends on your preferences and needs. if you are looking to gain advantage in fps gaming (bass light and wide soundstage headphones) then the audiotechnica ad500x/700x/900x series is good. if you want something neutral and laid back the hd518/558/598 lineup is good. if you want bassy (fun sounding but bass gives you less advantage in fps since it can cover up footstep sounds) the dt770 would work. the dt990 has treble, bass and soundstage but needs an amp. another m50 alternative besides the dt770 would be the v-moda headphones however they arent as good as the beyers.

Solution