Good Laptop for video editing?

matthijsdejong

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
Hello everyone, I'm Matt.
My passion is video editing and now I graduated my highschool im going to a school specialized for video editing and I'm really hyped up for it. I've always been a desktop editor. Now my only con is that I kinda don't have a clue which laptop to get, at first I thought of getting a Macbook pro but then someone told me to think about it again. So. My question is what pc should i get ?
===========================================================================
Budget: 1450$
Editing software : Adobe After effects CC (takes 4/6gb ram on desktop pc now)
(I want it to run freely and I'm wanting to pay some more for quite a difference in performance)
**EDIT** If it's possible, not really needed. I want to be able to play games on the laptop. If this is not an option I wouldn't mind but I just really love gaming and a laptop which can run games on it would be a +! (midrange games like Call of Duty, Minecraft.)

Thanks in advance !
-Matt

Solution
Gotcha - didn't see that it was euros. Were I in your shoes, I would look at the ASUS G501:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-G501JW-DS71-15-6-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B00UOYQ0YW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434634008&sr=8-1&keywords=ASUS+G501&pebp=1434634019949&perid=03MRQEBW3VP87ADA91W0

Great performance vs weight/thickness and it has a good processor and GPU without being a back breaker or requiring a massive bag. I am currently using a Lenovo Y50 because I purchased my rig before the G501 was released - it's a little thicker and heavier, but with a 1080p screen, i7 quad processor, 8GB of RAM & a 500GB SSD it does a great job of allowing me to edit projects as well as game a little without running immediately to the wall outlet. I have a 2TB...

game junky

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Good for you Matt - MBP is a very common editing option: Adobe software (especially their creative suite) runs very well optimized in OSX (I am a PC user but have had to setup a lot of Mac Pro and MBP workstations) but the cost per performance is still better on a PC.

For laptops, here are the questions we'll want to know:

How much is weight a factor?
How much is battery life a factor?
How secure is your budget?
How large of a screen do you want to use?

vagrantsoul

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
here are two shots in a dimly lit room:

customizable option 1:
http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-ge70-apache-pro681-p-8067.html (keyboard also has the added bonus of you being able to color code command keys in adobe software), decent size, battery life, processor and gpu (customizable as well)

option 2 (i like asus, touchpads sometimes are a bit...eh though):
http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-gl551jwds71-p-8096.html

not affilliated with xotic, but have multiple friends who purchased through them and thought very highly of the experience)

matthijsdejong

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014

Hello Game Junky,
I will answer the questions,
The weight is really not a matter as long as i can carry it in my backpack.
The battery life factor will have to be around 3 hours since I have to travel alot by train.
My budget is quite secure, 1400 Euros +/- will be the price (I will pay more if needed)
The screen size needs to be at least 15" because otherwise I will have to be close to the screen all the time which I dont prefer for a little bit more money, ( The laptop durance which I didn't mention needs to be around 5 years at least because thats the time my study will take (for the longest))
I hope this is good enough information.

matthijsdejong

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014

Thanks for your suggestions Vagrant! I've been looking at the laptops and I must say that's the kind of laptop I was looking for but it's alot below my budget and I'm willing to spend more money because I have to use the laptop for 4+ years !

vagrantsoul

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010

they have many more options to get at least a base idea of what to look for :
http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-creative-professional-laptops-ct-118_101_109.html

they also allow you to upgrade the internals to what you want (adding to the cost)

game junky

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Gotcha - didn't see that it was euros. Were I in your shoes, I would look at the ASUS G501:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-G501JW-DS71-15-6-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B00UOYQ0YW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434634008&sr=8-1&keywords=ASUS+G501&pebp=1434634019949&perid=03MRQEBW3VP87ADA91W0

Great performance vs weight/thickness and it has a good processor and GPU without being a back breaker or requiring a massive bag. I am currently using a Lenovo Y50 because I purchased my rig before the G501 was released - it's a little thicker and heavier, but with a 1080p screen, i7 quad processor, 8GB of RAM & a 500GB SSD it does a great job of allowing me to edit projects as well as game a little without running immediately to the wall outlet. I have a 2TB external drive to transport files because it doesn't have a dual drive option like some of the higher-end machine like OriginPC but it works pretty well without being incredibly inconvenient.

The Y50 hasn't released a refresh yet so it's still using 4th gen Intel procs so there are more powerful and more battery efficient option on the market, but it's still a great bang for your buck option:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50/

Solution

matthijsdejong

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014

Hey Game junky! thanks for your suggestions, I really really like the specs of the Asus laptop but my experience with Asus isn't that good although that was 3/4 years ago. The thing that came up in my mind first when I saw that laptop was overheating, it's not thick and has alot of stuff built into it. So thats my cause for it.
And about the Y50 I think it's a really good laptop but as you said, the Y50 is "older" and there are better option available on the market (these days) im not complaining about the performance but I now have the money to spend to a great laptop that still has to perform good in 5 years.

matthijsdejong

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014

Hey Game Junky, I've looked up reviews and tests about the G501 and the main problem with the laptop is the overheating you get with it, and thats something i really want to avoid and also the 4k screen is a good thing about the laptop but it's really unnecessary for me.