Good Mic for Gaming Commentary

Mashimaro7

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
I'm starting a Youtube channel, and I don't wanna half-ass it. I don't have too big of a budget, but I'm looking for a good quality mic for commentary. I've heard I should get an external sound card and a 350$ mic if I want really good quality, but I can't really afford that. I'm sure a USB mic would suffice, I have a mic slot on my computer though, I don't know if it makes a difference in quality or what lol, I could use a USB slot, but I don't have many so it'd be better to use my mic jack. Anyway, I'm hoping to spend at most 200$, I could go a little higher though. Any suggestions? I just have an onboard sound card(fairly new computer though) so should I upgrade that too?

Thanks

Solution
some good mics, AT2020 has a usb version
or get a condenser mic with a headphone jack (for monitoring)

the blue yeti, lots of people like the yeti

dynamic mic is also an option, won't pick up every noise in the room

Cons29

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
some good mics, AT2020 has a usb version
or get a condenser mic with a headphone jack (for monitoring)

the blue yeti, lots of people like the yeti

dynamic mic is also an option, won't pick up every noise in the room

Solution

Mashimaro7

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Hey, my mic came in. It's the at2020 deluxe condenser mic so maybe that's why it was more? Or maybe cause I'm in canada and everything's more expensive for us lol. It's really good, if you set it right it picks up you voice crystal clear and doesn't pick up mouse clicks or keys. But if you set it to full it'll pick them up. It's a really good mic, so I'd recommend it.

Cons29

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
i have been doing a lot of research on condenser mics, and at2020 is on top of my list so yes i agree that it is good.
really, it does not pickup much noise?
i will be getting an xlr mic, probably an at2020 too if i have enough money. the usb comes with a stand yes? the xlr does not, so that is another hole in my pocket

Mashimaro7

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Ah, sorry for my lateness, I didn't realize this thread was untracked. Well, I think if you have a quietish keyboard it won't be too bad, my keyboard is super loud and I realized it does pick it up. And yeah it comes with a stand. I got the deluxe version, so maybe the regular one doesn't come with a stand?! I seriously don't know what the difference is between the deluxe and the regular one lol.