Good options for a 5.1 surround system for PS4?

Isilwen Nightfall

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Hi there.

I'll get straight to the point: I've been using a very old Samsung 5.1 surround system for my PS4.

It served rather well with my old PS3 back in the day, but it has a really annoying issue: the more it stays on, the more desynced the audio gets. To "fix" it I have to either turn it on and off, or change the audio source to normal HDMI (tv speakers) and then back to the surround system (optical, Dolby Digital 5.1), to force again the sync. But even like this, there is ALWAYS a bit of delay which makes some rhythm games basically impossible.

Sadly I am unable to provide you the name of this surround system at this time, but it only allows for optical connection. Basically I have the PS4 connected to the TV via HDMI, and then the surround system connected to the PS4 via optical. It seems I am unable to connect directly the surround system to the TV, as they do not support each other.

I am not sure if this delay is caused by some stupid setup, by the system being optical, or simply badly supported. I tried for months to figure out the cause of this delay and I was unable to find it.

IF there was a way to fix this delay, I would gladly keep this system - as it still works well for my needs. But, barring that, I would like advice about some system with a good quality/cost ratio that I can be sure it will not give me these problems.

I would be very grateful if someone more tech-savvy than me could help!

Thanks in advance!

Solution
the reason i dont think its settings is that you say it comes and goes so somewhere along the lines its getting offsync. how? not sure.

instead of buying a HTIB again i'd suggest buying separates.

sorry for the dummies link but its the first link which looked decent http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/what-does-an-av-receiver-do.html
this is an AVR which is much more in depth of a box than the htib units. i use one myself for ps3/pc (photos in signature link) and it works out great and you can use hdmi for full quality on audio. i've never noticed a delay. at least here in the usa cheap models or on sale you can get them for $150-200 for entry level units

will one work with your speakers? given they look like micro satellites that...
it sounds like you may have a cheapo HTIB type setup. those are plagued with problems regarding aux input sources. i'm assuming of course given that you did not list a model number.

depending on what power output and impedance (watts and ohms ratings) on your speakers you may be able to just replace the amp and use the speakers. unfortunately many htib systems use low impedance speakers which dont work well with most receivers so you definitely would need to look and see if you have a model number or if its written on the speakers or in the manual. otherwise, i would need to assume no, its not going to work.

what exactly are you changing the source on and how is everything hooked up? ps4--(hdmi)--tv and ps4--(optical)--hometheater ? without knowing the details its hard to give you an answer.

cheap systems?
monoprice 10565 speakers or the energy take classic 5.1 they are based on are decent for cheap and you can pair them with a sony or onkyo 5.1 receiver under $200. if you're out of the usa i'm not so sure of your options on the cheap but going with a receiver over a htib certainly could help. also i always output console--(hdmi)--avr--(hdmi)--tv using video passthrough. i dont get any delay.

Isilwen Nightfall

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Hey, thanks for your answer.

I am currently in the office (UK resident here) so I will only be able to provide a serial and model once I get home in a few hours - I will make sure to update this thread then. At the moment I can just say that it's not just an amp - it's some sort of Samsung DVD player that came with 5 speakers and a subwoofer.

it's VERY similar to this one, but this might be a more recent model:

http://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/samsung-dt-d350-5-1-surround-sound-system-with-dvd-player/8208721

As mentioned in my opening post, yeah, the hook up is ps4--(hdmi)--tv and ps4--(optical)--hometheater. I don't know of any other possible way given that the system only accepts Optical. The link up there shows a model that has HDMI - the version I have does not, however.

Unfortunately I am VERY ignorant about this matter, so even basic terminology might elude me.

if its a combo box with dvd/amp its a htib for sure. yep, that photo is also a htib.

one thing you could try doing is to not use any sound effects, room correction or post processing effects at all on the audio. perhaps reset the system to defaults. post processing effects could cause a delay. i'm thinking that it has some other error going on though given that it goes away and comes back. i'm not aware of a way to fix that and its not worth repairing due to age.

Isilwen Nightfall

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Yeah I was afraid of that. I don't think I ever applied any effects myself, not sure if games or the PS4 itself does that without me knowing.

I am fine with buying a new piece, I just want to make sure I know what I am doing before finding myself in the same situation again.

the reason i dont think its settings is that you say it comes and goes so somewhere along the lines its getting offsync. how? not sure.

instead of buying a HTIB again i'd suggest buying separates.

sorry for the dummies link but its the first link which looked decent http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/what-does-an-av-receiver-do.html
this is an AVR which is much more in depth of a box than the htib units. i use one myself for ps3/pc (photos in signature link) and it works out great and you can use hdmi for full quality on audio. i've never noticed a delay. at least here in the usa cheap models or on sale you can get them for $150-200 for entry level units

will one work with your speakers? given they look like micro satellites that i see around with strange impedance ratings i doubt it. you would likely need new speakers but until i see the impedance (ohms) and power (watt) rating for the speakers i cant say for sure.

Solution
yeah, 3ohm speakers i wouldnt want to pair with a new receiver. typically 6 or 8 ohm speakers are what home theater deals with. running low impedance speakers can cause components to heat up so while it could be done in some cases i dont recommend it since they arent designed for it.