Good Replacement Laptop

Rossiskiracer91

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Hi, I currently am in the market to buy my mom a new laptop for her birthday next week. I am a mac guy and she will not cross over, so I'm need of some help figuring out what would be good.

Currently she has a Toshiba Satellite L305 that she bought for like $400 with a printer and some other stuff in a package Best Buy had going back in 2008. The laptop has been great for her and the only issues were it needed a new hard drive 2 years ago and I also upgraded the ram to 4gb.

She typically uses her laptop for surfing the internet and doing stuff in microsoft office. I'd say she uses the computer a minimum of 3 hours a day, but battery life isn't too important. She also doesn't have much on her hard drive.

I'm looking for something with a screen in the 15 inch range and under $600. I started looking at Toshiba's again, but do not know if they are good or if there would be a better alternative. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!

Here is a link to one I found:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+15.6%22+Satellite+Laptop+-+6GB+Memory+-+640GB+Hard+Drive+-+Platinum/2809538.p?id=1218353393861&skuId=2809538

Pyree

Distinguished
If she is only using the laptop for surfing the web and word processing and she don't use a lot of space on HDD, I suggest you get an SSD upgrade for her. It's much cheaper and she will see the difference more than getting a new laptop.

Rossiskiracer91

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm definitely set on buying her a new laptop. Hers right now is pretty well beat. She has been looking, but hasnt found anything. Any suggestions on a good laptop to buy her??

485763g4

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
I would defiantly go with the one from best buy, it may be more expensive than the other 2 but you get what you pay for. It has the i3 processor which is one of the best low end processor and since she is only surfing the web and some microsoft office it would be great for that. It has a large hard drive and plenty RAM which is good for any multi-tasking.

Good luck!

485763g4

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Yes the one from best buy is the best. But the toshiba L75 S5153 Is very comparable, so if you aren't comfortable paying the $530 for Best Buy's you wouldn't see a big performance drop.

So #1 Best Buy $530
#2 Toshiba L75 S5153 $400

Its really up to you and your budget, Good Luck.