Good Stereo Headphones for Gaming?

Revox71

Estimable
Sep 11, 2014
So I just purchased the Asus Maximus VII Hero and after talking with a friend who is an audio engineer he had said the on board audio card is really good for gaming in 7.1 through good quality stereo headphones. So any suggestions on really good Stereo Headphones that are comfortable for long sessions and have good sound quality.

Solution

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
I just use my Bose QC15's so I can't hear the TV in the background. I'd go for an audio company's headphone than a pair of headphones from a peripherals company. Bose, Beats, Sennheiser, audio tecnica... AT-M50's are pretty popular at the $100 price point.

MT6Anime

Estimable
Jul 17, 2014
I would recommend getting these until two days ago they costed $70 but that sale is gone now. They have true 5.1 surround sound not that virtual stuff(although they also have virtual 7.1) and I game for about 8 hours a day and balance college somehow. Point being they are very comfortable. I know this is an unheard of brand but there are plenty of reviews online for their products saying that people like them.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ICOE8KE/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0A6Q79BHXPKME9HWC2SC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846
For the record I was gonna get the Razer stuff but after looking at them I felt I was paying more for their brand name instead of quality kinda like beats.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013

What budget do you have for the headphones?

Revox71

Estimable
Sep 11, 2014

About 500 dollars max

Revox71

Estimable
Sep 11, 2014

Are they analog or USB? By true 5.1 I assume you mean physical with 4 speakers in each ear?

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013

The DT 770 Pros + an amp+ a mod mic would be a good choice.

Just check to see if the sound signature matches your tastes. Here's a quote about them from headfier MadLustEnvy's headphone gaming guide:

This is a heavy hitter. Very impressive for non-competitive gaming, especially if you wanna feel like you're in a movie theater. The bass is considerably super powered, and would make this a bad choice for competitive gaming. However, the soundstage depth and width is surprisingly large for a closed headphone. These also have some of the very best sense of distance when positioning sounds that I have heard. Too bad it's too wild in bass for hardcore FPS gaming. The finer details are pretty much sucked out because of the bass.

Like the other Beyers on this guide, they require amping to truly bring out their sound quality.

Revox71

Estimable
Sep 11, 2014

Is the quote you added about the DT's? Because these headphones would be used for competitive gaming. Also I am kinda just getting into the whole audio stuff so what do you mean by sound signatures??

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013

Yes it's for the DT 770s. If you play competitive fps where positional queues are important, such as footsteps, then I would look into the AD700x.

Audio Technica ATH-AD700X

Sound signature is what the headphone's sound characteristics are like ex: clear, neutral, bass heavy, bright, dark, warm, etc.

Here's a link to his headphone gaming guide (click me)

The Ad700x is the replacement of the AD 700. Same drivers, different design.

Solution