Good time for a new Laptop

droidling

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
So with the release of the new laptop video card I have been getting a lot of ads for laptops with 960M or 970M video. I need a new laptop, But I just spent $2000 on a new desktop. I'd like to put off the laptop and hope to catch a Black Friday sale. I'm just wondering if all the nice last years models will be gone by then.

I don't do much gaming, I am an advance amateur photographer, so occasionally I do batch processing of large numbers of images. One of the programs I would like to use, Agisoft Photoscan works much faster with OpenCL graphics card support. It would max out all 8 cores on my old desktop, chew up 16GB of memory and still, and still have to crank away on a set of photos for 15 min. or more.They recommend a 3 GHz or better processor, and as much memory as you can afford. I'd like 16GB but most of the systems I'm looking at com with 8GB. Having the option to upgrade to 32GB eventually would be a big plus. I'm currently looking in the $700 to $1000 range. I might be able to go a bit higher in a month or so.

Solution
Yeah, difficult to say what will be on sale on Black Friday. If you see something that seems to be a bargain, then it may be worth buying before Black Friday.

The nVidia 1060 is basically equal to the nVidia GTX 980m when it comes to performance.

droidling

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007

I know there are no guarantees on what will be available. I was just looking for an educated guess based on previous new GPU releases. If the 1060 a big jump in performance over the 970M that may be the best option.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Yeah, difficult to say what will be on sale on Black Friday. If you see something that seems to be a bargain, then it may be worth buying before Black Friday.

The nVidia 1060 is basically equal to the nVidia GTX 980m when it comes to performance.

Solution