Google Accuses Microsoft Bing of Stealing Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Seems pretty clear cut. Looking forward to microsofts (real) response, which will probably come after consultations with their lawyers...

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Why does everyone just regurgitate this without investigating?

Bing is watching the behavior of the Bing Bar users. Google just made a synthetic result that would normally never occur then impersonated a Bing Bar user to "upload" the data into Bings ranking engine. The test is only valid within the parameters of the test itself.

Bing did something pretty innovative and clever that Google again didn't think of first and they are floundering in a temper tantrum that reeks of childish insecurity.

The Blogosphere meanwhile is swallowing this tripe and giving a free PR ride to Google (who let's face it is probably the biggest IP thief on the planet).

Here is the REAL response from Microsoft which is not reported anywhere..
http://www.bing.com/community/site_blogs/b/search/archive/2011/02/02/setting-the-record-straight.aspx

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
M$ got caught red-handed, claimed they weren't stealing results, then admitted to it, then tried to attack Google's practices (not it's search capabilities). Basically M$'s response is full of crap. It was proven that they are stealing results. Can't they just accept it without acting like a bunch of 5-year-olds?

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I've been using Google since Ask Jeeves turned into Ask.com, and I can't complain with the quality of the search results. Since Micro$oft can't actually make a search engine, or for that matter, an OS that people are consistently satisfied in, they did the next best thing. They just covertly monitored what people did on Google and then made their search results conform with the data they pulled in.

Well, since Google definitely has the upper hand here, they can win some money to pay back what they themselves lost for copying code.

rubix_1011

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Dear Microsoft-

We have noticed that in the past, you have 'acquired' some IP in terms that might be considered....questionable. We at Google have recently taken this role as the world's leader in IP and code theft. We'd appreciate it if you wouldn't pick up old habits...or even pretend to. It's our playground now. We take the lunch money these days.

Nyah, nyah, boo, boo...stick your head in doo-doo.

Sincerely,

Google

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Read about it, tried some results. Nothing out of the ordinary - it's not like Microsoft actually stole code that it didn't have access to, unlike a 'certain' company...

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]gogogadgetliver[/nom]Why does everyone just regurgitate this without investigating?Bing is watching the behavior of the Bing Bar users. Google just made a synthetic result that would normally never occur then impersonated a Bing Bar user to "upload" the data into Bings ranking engine. The test is only valid within the parameters of the test itself.Bing did something pretty innovative and clever that Google again didn't think of first and they are floundering in a temper tantrum that reeks of childish insecurity.The Blogosphere meanwhile is swallowing this tripe and giving a free PR ride to Google (who let's face it is probably the biggest IP thief on the planet).Here is the REAL response from Microsoft which is not reported anywhere..http://www.bing.com/community/site [...] aight.aspx[/citation]

I love how the apologists and the astroturfers come out of the woodwork. Its times like these when I wonder how many of these idiots are actually paid shills for the various companies who are in hot water at the time, since its been shown that its a practice many companies are not above doing.

Reading how this was done, it seems clear cut. The only way for them to get the link for the site in question, is for Bing to have somehow COPIED the search link. Bing isn't going to suddenly know about the fake link if they search for something and come up empty.

Google searched from the web page interface, not in a special toolbar. The data was not "Fed" into Bing. So that means the data that Bing used, was gleaned knowingly directly on Google's web page. How is that not a sleazy way to get better results?

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]mikem_90[/nom]I love how the apologists and the astroturfers come out of the woodwork. [/citation]

I love how people resort to attacking the messenger and not the logic.

"So that means the data Bing used, was gleaned knowingly directly on Google's web page"

You clearly don't even have a grasp the technical aspects of this so please refrain from moving on to any ethical aspects.

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]gogogadgetliver[/nom]I love how people resort to attacking the messenger and not the logic. "So that means the data Bing used, was gleaned knowingly directly on Google's web page"You clearly don't even have a grasp the technical aspects of this so please refrain from moving on to any ethical aspects.[/citation]

If you're not going to respond in a constructive way, don't respond at all. You've turned to ad hominem, which, despite showing that you're probably not an astroturfer, shows that you're likely overly-dictated by emotional hot states.

G

Fun stuff to read but I don't take any of it seriously. I despise Internet Explorer; I won't use it (until I'm 'forced to' by some site or application that won't run in anything else...and then I make an heroic effort to avoid that site or app in the future). When a business entity begins to view itself as another 'government' in my life, I get rid of it whether it's AARP, AAA Michigan, or IE. Yeah, I know they aren't going to miss my business but man, it makes me feel good to dump them. Windows may be the next thing I dump entirely. Have been playing around with Linux a little, considering Mac again...ah, cutting the 'strings' feels so good. OH...I won't use Bing, either. Tried it; didn't like it. Get better and faster results with Google so far. Jeesh, is Dogpile still out there in the ether? Guess I'll go check on that right now... and just come back later to see how the war's shaping up.

NoniB17

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Well, I hope this is not some duplication of a post I tried to send previously...but jeesh, I had to say this: I love this thread because...I despise Internet Explorer, won't use it unless 'forced to' by some site or app that I can't find a workaround for AND, I am not all that keen on Bing either. I tried it, didn't like it, and went back to good ol' Google. Windows may be the next thing I dump; have been playing around with Linux, thinking again about switching over to a Mac...my little old Dell desktop CPU is doing okay yet with XP-SP3 but the big move to either Windows 7 or over to Mac OS is pretty much inevitable. And that Bing bar thing...no way in heck. Wow, it seems as if everyone lately wants ALL of my 'personal' information via Facebook. Got the sad news today that eHow is moving to a single portal...Facebook to log onto eHow. Nope, not gonna happen. Sad to have to dump eHow just when I had some really great articles to post. So it's time to kiss Facebook good-bye too (permanently). These entities that try to become another form of government annoy me enough that I've dumped AARP and AAA Michigan, prescription medication (Big Pharma can kiss my grits)...so why not Bing and MicroSssssssst too? Is there ANY big corporation out there in The System that does not steal what it can from whomever it can? Let me know, please, so I can support them (it?). Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.