Google Asking Surfers to Test ''Canary'' Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Canaries were used to test for poison gas leaks in mining operations before sensitive electronic equipment replaced them. That's because canaries are very sensitive to air toxicities, they die a lot faster than humans.

It's a nice reference for an unstable, un monitored experimental web browser. It should quickly show what works, what doesn't and the benefits are for regular Chrome users :)

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38571113/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

Irony is the sound made when all of Google's fainboiz are strangely silent. Screw Google.

samely

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Jeez, these comments look like how people would respond to an Apple article. Nothing related to the content.

G

I don't get the first few comments, has google done something to go against net neutrality? I read the article twice and couldn't see anything related to the comments....

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]What is the deal? It is like Microsoft releasing "Windows 8" with bad kernels and having the whole unit get fired[/citation]

I'm pretty sure everyone else is referring to this:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38571113/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

I'm actually not surprised that Tom's hasn't bothered to cover this yet.

domenic

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]anony48939[/nom]I don't get the first few comments, has google done something to go against net neutrality? I read the article twice and couldn't see anything related to the comments....[/citation]
It's completely off topic but the company that claims that they “don’t do evil” are considering (maybe) doing something VERY evil with a very Evil company (Verizon)

israil

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
You guys realize that Google is doing this because the FCC gave up on Net Neutrality right? Google is trying to compromise with providers so that they don't run rampant with limiting service.

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Dirtman73[/nom]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/385711 [...] d_gadgets/Irony is the sound made when all of Google's fainboiz are strangely silent. Screw Google.[/citation]
That might just be because there's no news to speak of.

Sadly most of the computer press hasn't kept up with the developments. Nor has its readers, obviously.

samely

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]exodite[/nom]That might just be because there's no news to speak of.Sadly most of the computer press hasn't kept up with the developments. Nor has its readers, obviously.[/citation]
Thanks for the clarity. We're in an age where rumor and circumstance make parties guilty before the "guilty" even have a chance to defend themselves.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Sorry guys, those statements tell us nothing but what the parties involved would like us to hear. I'll take the NY Times story with a grain of salt, but I'm certainly not going to trust either Google or Verizon to speak honestly about this.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]exodite[/nom]That might just be because there's no news to speak of.Sadly most of the computer press hasn't kept up with the developments. Nor has its readers, obviously.[/citation]
If this is a big story, why hasn't Tom's covered it?

Status
Not open for further replies.