Question Google Authenticator App Questions

MasterYoda327

Estimable
Feb 2, 2021
I have questions about the Google Authenticator app for Android. I have used Authy as my preferred authenticator app. Recently, a service that I use has required two-factor authentication where I couldn't use Authy. The option I selected from the choices available was the Google authenticator app. Google Authenticator is not my first choice for authentication purposes. I tried finding the answers to my following questions on the Web but they weren't very clear. My questions are:

1. Google authenticator is stated to automatically backup my authenticator codes to my Google account or backup manually to my account using the checkmark icon in the app. Does this mean that my codes are safe and will be restored on a new device if my smartphone is lost, damaged, or replaced? Does this backup also apply when my smartphone data is either automatically or manually backed up?

2. I don't use Google's cloud service for stuff like music, photos, or documents. I also do not have paid storage or cloud plans with Google. Are my backup codes stored on Google cloud or somewhere else on my Google account?

3. In relation to the previous question, if the backup codes are not stored in Google Cloud, where on my Google account would those codes be stored? If possible, where would I be able to find the codes on my Google account for me to view or retrieve them?

I just want to play it safe to avoid a possible situation where the backup and authentication codes are lost due to the loss, damage, or replacement of my smartphone and be locked out of the listed accounts within the Google Authenticator app.

Thanks in advance.

CParsons

Estimable
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
Recently, a service that I use has required two-factor authentication where I couldn't use Authy. The option I selected from the choices available was the Google authenticator app.
I'm not sure why Authy wouldn't be an option. You just would have had to add it manually. Personally, I would go back and try Authy again.