Google CEO: In the Future, Kids Will Be Able to Change Their Names to Escape Onl

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can already change your name legally. I suppose his idea is that it would be made easier. Though I would say that if this were to happen it should be at 25 not 18. College age people do a lot of idiotic things and don't start to calm down until the mid-20's.

Though most people continue to behave like fools all of their lives.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
A neat idea. I remember the drama that ensued years back when I had a Myspace, now I'm 20 and have a Facebook. I don't post anything on there that I'm ashamed of, and theres nothing that I wouldn't mind having follow me around in the future. But then again, myself and the rest of the THG crowd is/are still smarter than the average Joe.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]College age people do a lot of idiotic things[/citation]

HEY! I fit in that group! And I think it's totally uncalled... fo... totally uncalled fo...

Nevermind...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Like its not going to be a big red flag to your employer that you have no record before the age of 18. What about applying for college? "Hmm... it seems the high school diploma you have is in someone else's name, so no, you can't attend." Even if you move the age to after college: "You want a job, but have no advanced degrees in your name, no thanks."

Of course, name changes are a matter of public record (occurring in public courts after all, at least here in the U.S.). So anyone who wanted to know would be able to find out (including employers, colleges, etc...). You won't be able to hide if someone really wants to know. Changing names isn't like going into witness protection.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Changing a name doesn't change your pictures... today we match data by names, tomorrow (and some tools do it today) the match is made through photos.
So, ok, I change my name, but I post a pic... oups... the link is made again...

So we come back to the initial status... don't publish anything to not be tracked.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
[citation][nom]willgart[/nom]Changing a name doesn't change your pictures... today we match data by names, tomorrow (and some tools do it today) the match is made through photos.So, ok, I change my name, but I post a pic... oups... the link is made again...So we come back to the initial status... don't publish anything to not be tracked.[/citation]
Or stop being so damn paranoid and realize that no one gives two hoots about you, just as you couldn't give a damn about them.

sagansrun

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Ummm, I never use my real name on the internet anyways. I have many aliases for Facebook and other sites that need a name. No one says you have to use your real name...

ricin

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
No they won't, because in the future everybody will have their GUID (that's Global Unique Identifier, for the technically challenged) tattooed to their foreheads.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]2 billion penguins[/nom]Just go with an seperate hidden internet name from the beginning... problem solved... less hassle[/citation]
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!
If you feel like being a jackass, be anonymous. If, however, you don't, then real name it is.
Though some days, I do think a name change, moving, changing my number and dropping contact with everyone I know could save me a lot of hassle. Too many people know were I live...

G

You will be a fool in the first place to give out to strangers (AKA the internet) your name, your pictures, your address, your wife's picture, and everything else. Facebook is for fools who want their lives to be ruined.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
As someone who's moved 14 times during my grade school years, I can vouch for how refreshing it can be to not have anyone know who you are and what dumb things you've done in the past. Gives you a clean slate.

Status
Not open for further replies.