Google CEO Retracts Street View Privacy Joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

jossrik

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2002
Sounds to me like he was obviously having a little fun, which everyone should be allowed to do. I don't know how long the interview was, or the rapport he had with the interviewer. Sounds kinda like he said a joke, then said no seriously, it's not really that big of an issue.

I'm a PC, and windows ME was my idea. In retrospect, I probably should have kept it to myself.

afforess

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
I agree, he's just showing off his state of the art technology, Google is in the business of keeping trust, so they don't actually want to piss off their customers, unlike some companies, who I will not name.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Nothing new in an opinion coming from him, he has a loose tongue, but for the position he holds, he should be more careful with his comments, he is the CEO of GOOGLE, not a random person.
Still, when you're on internet, you also have to be careful on what do you publish about yourself, though in these cases, that can't be really controlled, specially because how many people will know about the "contact Google to remove the house" and in that group, how many will actually will do it.

phantom93

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
so, if people are mad that there house is on street view, meaning people can see it. Does that mean they get mad when I drive by? will I need to wear a blindfold when I go down their street?

ispam

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
I'm so tired of Google hiding under the fake "Do not evil" slogan...at least Microsoft and Apple are not trying to deceive anyone.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]ispam[/nom]I'm so tired of Google hiding under the fake "Do not evil" slogan...at least Microsoft and Apple are not trying to deceive anyone.[/citation]

Are you kidding? Apple's first computer costed $666. Talk about not making any attempt to deceive anyone. That might be a bit too honest.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]afforess[/nom]I agree, he's just showing off his state of the art technology, Google is in the business of keeping trust, so they don't actually want to piss off their customers, unlike some companies, who I will not name.[/citation]

Oh, naming companies that lost our trust? How about AT&T? They finally got their customer service act together though. If they'd always answered the phone when I called, I'd have probably kept their service. Google on the other hand, I'd trust them with anything...they've got a perfect rep in my book. It's really shocking how a big (and, inherently, evil) corporation like Google can manage to consistently seem like the good guys. I guess their name sounds innocent though--unlike Raytheon, which just sounds like it's planning on holding Europe for ransom.

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]ispam[/nom]I'm so tired of Google hiding under the fake "Do not evil" slogan...at least Microsoft and Apple are not trying to deceive anyone.[/citation]
Right...cuz MS is open about mistakes and Apple atones for what they do and doesn't blames it's users or say they're using it wrong?

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
"If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place."

Should I really have to worry about big brother in the first place?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]Are you kidding? Apple's first computer costed $666. Talk about not making any attempt to deceive anyone. That might be a bit too honest.[/citation]

And their latest Mac Pro costs £4K for the baseline 12 core model.

As soon as you're on the net, there is no such thing as privacy, i'd much prefer my details in the hands of Google rather than some hacker who fancies stealing my money or identity.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]While Street View is certainly great, I'm still interested in hearing his defence regarding Google's interception of people's networks.[/citation]

You mean the non-passworded wireless networks they inadvertently connected to while mapping streets?

Rule 1: You don't want people getting on your wireless network? PASSWORD IT.

wudu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Just because something is on the ground in my yard, it doesn't give you right to pick it up.
They can't just connect and snoop packets by mistake, so stop being ignorant about it.
I do agree that people should protect themselves however.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]wudu[/nom]Just because something is on the ground in my yard, it doesn't give you right to pick it up.They can't just connect and snoop packets by mistake, so stop being ignorant about it.I do agree that people should protect themselves however.[/citation]
It would be illegal if they picked something up off the front of your yard.. But if its lying in the middle of the street in front of your house, its fair game.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Griffolion[/nom]And their latest Mac Pro costs £4K for the baseline 12 core model.As soon as you're on the net, there is no such thing as privacy, i'd much prefer my details in the hands of Google rather than some hacker who fancies stealing my money or identity.[/citation]

I'm sorry I wasn't clearer. 666 = Sign of the Devil.

Really weird price, don't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.