Google Chat Can Do File Transfers From Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALANMAN

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Finally! I don't see this as risky, it's basically the same as using the stand alone Google Talk client. Someone you don't know and isn't in your contacts won't be able to send you files.

Now if they would just add video to the stand alone client...

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]alanman[/nom]Finally! I don't see this as risky, it's basically the same as using the stand alone Google Talk client. Someone you don't know and isn't in your contacts won't be able to send you files.Now if they would just add video to the stand alone client...[/citation]

Agreed. I don't know what their infatuation is with the webapp, but some people actually like having access to chat without having to open a browser.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Sounds like IRC/MIRC. For you older people you know what that is. For you young bucks, look it up. There's been many software that does this already, but looks like it will be another "Tool"..if you know (those that are familiar with IRC/MIRC) what I mean - its still the mighty back bone for it all.

I am still surprised for as long as IRC/MIRC has been around nothing has ever come up in the news about it. Yet Limewire, Bearshare, Torrents, etc all have had its spotlight.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Good job Google, way to catch up with 10 year old technology! Seeing as we've been doing this using Yahoo, AIM, IRC, etc. for years.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Finally, Google!

GMail was the savior when I wasn't able to install the GTalk client, but I always missed the File Transfer from it. Thank you!

Cheers!

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Well this is kinda necessary for their whole 'Wave' concept they're moving towards (assuming they still are, I haven't heard anything about it for a while).

Status
Not open for further replies.