Google Chrome being really (and I mean REALLY) SLOW

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danzas4321

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Hey guys. I've been a Chrome user for nearly two years, but recently I'm having a big issue. Every time i open the browser it struggles to even open the home page or tabs like the settings. Its not my internet, as i have about 25Mbps down and 7 up. Other browsers are working fine, but I prefer Chrome!

Solution
To anyone encountering similar issues... try disabling hardware acceleration.... it was a tenfold improvement for me on my laptop.

To disable it... type "chrome:settings" in the address bar, click Advanced Settings, then uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available" under the System header. Close all open Chrome browser instances and restart Chrome.

Chrome had always ran really well for me.... until rather recently. This seemed to fix my biggest problem of late. Give it a shot and let me know... curious how it works for others. Not sure why HW acceleration seems to be the culprit, nor what exactly changed that caused this issue.

stanglover37

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009

Yup, bitdefender seems to have been the culprit. Thanks!

Greenbomb101

Estimable
Sep 14, 2014

I just used your suggestion and it seems to be making a world of difference. Let's see what happens when I use this on another system I have. Thanks.

hey_davea

Estimable
Sep 15, 2014
I have been chasing this issue for months. I even contemplated doing a clean install and starting again. Not something to contemplate lightly.

WOW!!! Am I glad I found this post! I turned off H/H acceleration as suggested: voila! Chrome and gmail back to it's normal speedy performance.

Thanks a million, folks...

Beckberg

Estimable
Sep 15, 2014
I run into this kind of situation sometimes. I just clear cookies & caches and Chrome works fine! Chrome may turn bulky overtime. So after you throw out the rubbish, it runs faster!

Lyra Yoo

Estimable
Oct 8, 2014

Thank you very much for this, because unchecking the option made my chrome faster. After tedious malware check and all , it worked !!

Babii4eva

Estimable
Oct 19, 2014
Ive been having the same problem for the last few days all of a sudden. my internet is 100Mbps, everything else works fine, i do alot of gaming and havent had any problems there .. just with chrome taking absolutely forever.. even typing in the address bar is lagged, type a few characters and a pause before they show up

Mark Overholt

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run uihxjjzt
regsvr32.exe /s "C:\Users\X - your computers name - X\AppData\Local\ElevatedDiagnostics\uihxjjzt.dll"

Delete this key in the registry.
Copy the key and value for future rebuild if you need too.

I believe this is a Trojan chrome update.

I use windows process explorer to view process's
i started seeing a doz or more at times all stating they were Chrome
not to be mistaken with the 3 or 4 normal Chrome process.
They are not called Chrome.
They are created by the Regsvr.exe file.
They keep creating them self even after Chrome is uninstalled.
I suspended the regsvr.exe file from within process explorer
killed the Tree for the fake chrome processes from within process explorer
and the browser and Google were fine. fast as ever.
I tried to just delete the file but it rewrote itself at boot.
through an autoruns jump i found the registry key.
noted it for future rebuild if i have an issue none yet .
and deleted the key and the value.

running normal now.

see Microsoft downloads for Process explorer and autoruns software free download from them.

keep in mind uihxjjzt and uihxjjzt.dll may not be the same on your computer.
as well the file directory's are hidden and not yet indexed so may not be found through search
"C:\Users\X - your computers name - X\AppData\Local\ElevatedDiagnostics\uihxjjzt.dll"

Also sent the files to Microsoft's Security essentials for review.

http://www.herdprotect.com/ikgojpdbiniccokkgadmdheobjfdbbcg.crx-5a61c25e3a185ad09768da88c69fc7e34993e7f8.aspx
somthing else just turned up in a TCP/IP scan with Netsat and a web lookup of the IPaddress.

Aug 6, 2013

I have had the SAME problem lots of times. A quick reboot partially helps; but I just found a great fix which has got me back on track again.

1) Go to Google Settings (top right corner of screen 3 lines box)
2) Go to `More Tools`
3) Go to CLEAR BROWSING DATA
4) Go to "`Clear Browsing Data` FROM THE BEGINNING OF TIME"
5) Click Ok.

Whizz

Works great now.

RayMel1

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009

It definately Helped Me! thanks!

tiffany21

Estimable
Nov 4, 2014

It works for me^^~

MHagesfeld

Estimable
Nov 6, 2014
YES! Total fix, thank you!!

mpb1

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
Thanks so much for this advice. I have been struggling with mine for months and following your instructions it was working like new in under 5 minutes.

skiventureftw

Estimable
Nov 21, 2014

This worked perfectly, thank you very much

justin198427

Estimable
Nov 28, 2014

Hi Danzas,

I have been having the same problem! Ive used Chrome for years and love it bu the last few weeks it has gone really slow! Downloads not working, sites not opening etc!

If you click on the upper right hand corner, theres a button thats three lines, click that then click "about Google Chrome" and update the browser, thats what I did and mine works fine now :)

owenwww

Estimable
Dec 10, 2014

Thank you so much. That made Chrome 10 times faster for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.