Google Chrome being really (and I mean REALLY) SLOW

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danzas4321

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Hey guys. I've been a Chrome user for nearly two years, but recently I'm having a big issue. Every time i open the browser it struggles to even open the home page or tabs like the settings. Its not my internet, as i have about 25Mbps down and 7 up. Other browsers are working fine, but I prefer Chrome!

Solution
To anyone encountering similar issues... try disabling hardware acceleration.... it was a tenfold improvement for me on my laptop.

To disable it... type "chrome:settings" in the address bar, click Advanced Settings, then uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available" under the System header. Close all open Chrome browser instances and restart Chrome.

Chrome had always ran really well for me.... until rather recently. This seemed to fix my biggest problem of late. Give it a shot and let me know... curious how it works for others. Not sure why HW acceleration seems to be the culprit, nor what exactly changed that caused this issue.

Reney

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015
I have been trying to find the solution for last 2 days. The new updated version Version 41.0.2272.89 m (64-bit) is complete garbage and take ages to load though I have blazing fast laptop with i7 and ssd. I don't see older versions available to download and install. anyone has any thoughts on how t fix this or is that best way to move all your tabs on firefox/waterfox?

playr4

Estimable
Mar 17, 2015

Do you by any chance have skype on your computer. If you do Chrome automatically installed "Skype Click To Call". Go ahead and uninstall that if you do. I did a few days ago and DEAR GOD did it improve chromes performance.

hecetabound

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015

Instant improvement! Thank you for sharing this idea!

Lelax2012

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015

For the past few months Chrome has been displaying the Super-Slow Downloading problem upon opening new tabs. This problem is so severe that I have stopped using Chrome as my default browser. We all have time sensitive tasks, and don't have time to fool around with browser issues. Until there is a reliable fix from Google, I have to relegate the Chrome Browser to the dust heap of history.

alexeck

Estimable
Mar 27, 2015
I am having similar issues. Did every trick in the book. This started a week or two ago, perhaps with an update. I'm very experienced technically and this one has me baffled.

One thing I noticed where Chrome really barfed on was in-address bar searches. Chrome just sits there doing nothing for several minutes.

In the end, I've just moved to Firefox. PIty, I do love Chrome.

I will keep trying though, but not in the middle of prime production time.

Update: Did a FULL uninstall, and then tried the "Disable Hardware" fix mentioned (which I had tried before to no luck). This time, I'm noticing a big improvement in speed. So... fingers crossed.

Turnbuckle

Estimable
Apr 1, 2015

Nothing has worked for me for more than maybe a half hour.
I have an i7, 16GB of RAM, a midrange GPU (Gefore 660 Ti), a 256 GB SSD - I'm not a genius but I'm pretty good at figuring out what's wrong with my computer.

Right now the answer for what's wrong with my computer is "Chrome". I love the browser, but it's been going extremely slow the past couple of months. I can hop on Firefox or Opera and it works great. Since Opera and Chrome are running a similar engine I would have expected to see similar issues but that wasn't the case.

If I try to type a search into my address bar it sometimes hangs up for 15-30 seconds before my typing shows up. Everything is slow on Chrome and I don't know what to do about it other than stop using it.

I'm convinced it has something to do with hangouts and/or something to do with the address bar/search feature. I've used both for a long time and the issue wasn't cropping up but now it's nearly unusable.

Apr 5, 2015

I don't know what is wrong, but I am having the same problem. I've tried everything, deleting unused and unwanted programs from my computer, cutting down on extensions and plug-ins, etc. I love Chrome, and I hope they fix this soon.

ArgyleNudge

Estimable
Apr 8, 2015

Thank you! I disabled hardware accelleration and it didn't make a noticable difference for me. Running Malwarebytes has measurably improved the address bar lag. (It's still not up to the speed it should be but it's much better.) Appreciated.

doobre

Estimable
Apr 8, 2015
I have the chrome issue as well, started just the last day or two.. I see an extra tab button next to the minimize button on the window, top right.... is that the add-on that is causing the trouble..?

JSS123

Estimable
Feb 28, 2015
I would suggest you to remove all the bookmarks you have made,addons you have and remove the complete browsing data(i would recommend using ccleaner).
If that doesnt work uninstall chrome along with its saved data and reinstall it.If you are having adblock plus installed then that is one of the main culprits...uninstall that add on and put unblock which is lighter
Suppose non work restore windows to an earlier point of time..sometimes it does work but note when you are using ccleaner uncheck the windows restore tab
if that doesnt work reinstall windows or refresh windows if you are using windows 8 or later version....it usually works out
if you refresh the OS there wont be any data loss

G

Disable unnecessary plugins and extensions. Get google software removing tool from
here. If you dont know how to do this click on this link for a step by step guide. Good luck. I still prefer chrome to all existing browsers.

JamesH74

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015
I've been suffering the same issue, as everyone else here, for the past week. No changes at all with my system and all scans revealed nothing. I've tried all the fixes on here including removing ad-aware as a system search for bitdefender came up with lavasoft. This didnt help either.

Someone here mentioned it could be AdBlock which i thought strange as it has worked fine for many months. But sure enough just by putting it on pause reveals chrome being back to normal. I'll keep it on pause for a day or 2 & see if it's the real fix & post back soon.

andrewsbii

Estimable
Apr 21, 2015
I adjusted all my settings as advised by many websites and the result was temporary only. The same slow performance is also contributed to the activity connected to your account when signed in. I signed out of Google, quit Google drive and shut down my computer. I waited 20 seconds before turning it back on. Google drive reconnected automatically (controlled by my preferences) and I signed in to my Google account. Problem fixed.

Google can run slow if there is lots of current activity attached to your account. I repeat the above operation depending on my activities.

Meengineer

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
I had the same issues. Based on your some of your responses that Turning off Hardware acceleration helped.... I tried it with no real change.

I updated my AMD graphics drivers to the latest Beta version and the problem seems to have gone away. Chrome is back to it's fast self. NOTE: This is with Hardware acceleration still on and all the antivirus stuff running.

MxNx

Estimable
May 3, 2015

No, it won't.

I have 3 PCs (one core 2 duo and 2 current i7s, all running win 7 64, all with external graphics (and one with SLI) and two ssd laptops, one i7 with 32gb ram), and all of them have this problem with Chrome.

On opening a new tab and typing something into search bar, no loading symbol appears and the page seems to hang - nothing happening at all - for around 30 seconds. Then suddenly the page loads and all good.

It seems to happen less when I have closed all tabs and reopened Chrome. It is intermittent though (and therefore maddening). In the console, I have watched the 'network' output and the page load shows 'pending' for the whole time.

I have NO extensions running on most of the computers, adblock on two, only MS antivirus on all, and hardware acceleration disabled on two devices. I have run Spybot and various other malware scans (killed a couple of things) and have had no change to page loads on any device.

I'm wondering whether it is something to do with Flash (embedded in Chrome, though I have tried to force it to use external Flash with no result) or Java.

No obvious problems with firefox. Have not tried all browsers.

Oh yes, and the problem seems to have appeared in the last few weeks.

MakoSipper

Estimable
May 8, 2015

I have the same issue for about a week now. It only happens with google pages (like search, translator, youtube), so I think it could be something with google login. Firefox and IE work fine, other pages also work fine on Chrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.