Google Chrome being really (and I mean REALLY) SLOW

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danzas4321

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Hey guys. I've been a Chrome user for nearly two years, but recently I'm having a big issue. Every time i open the browser it struggles to even open the home page or tabs like the settings. Its not my internet, as i have about 25Mbps down and 7 up. Other browsers are working fine, but I prefer Chrome!

Solution
To anyone encountering similar issues... try disabling hardware acceleration.... it was a tenfold improvement for me on my laptop.

To disable it... type "chrome:settings" in the address bar, click Advanced Settings, then uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available" under the System header. Close all open Chrome browser instances and restart Chrome.

Chrome had always ran really well for me.... until rather recently. This seemed to fix my biggest problem of late. Give it a shot and let me know... curious how it works for others. Not sure why HW acceleration seems to be the culprit, nor what exactly changed that caused this issue.

awkwardgeek

Estimable
May 11, 2015
Go to settings>advanced setting>system>clear the checkbox for using hardware acceleration>restart chrome.Hope this helped..This prob has nothin to do with ur plugins/extensions..

alecchalmers

Estimable
May 16, 2015
I've also been experiencing the same problems for about a week, roughly about the same time Chrome did an update.
It's mainly image search for me, Chrome will display about 10 images at the top of the search age, then hang for up to 10 seconds.

I've tried disable all extensions, hardware accel. turn off. Nothing helps.

I do alot of image searches for reference for my work, this is rendering Chrome unusable for me, time is money etc.

alicia2801

Estimable
May 19, 2015

Weird because turning it ON worked for me o_o

rollandrock

Estimable
May 26, 2015
I was using chrome during the long period. I even do not remember when I started. But this spring chrome is surprising me all the time. Month ago I had a problem with flash videos like youtube, sometimes it worked but sometimes did not.

During this month regulary I had the issue from this topic BUT everytime I reboot chrome it started to work correctly. Today it didn't work at all. I turned the laptop on and the chrome after a few seconds siad "the chrome is not responding". Even after rebooting the programm I had the same result.

Yesterday chrome offered new update. I thought it is related but what I see from the current topic it's the old issue. Anyway in my case I saw this problem just after the last update.

First I clear the browser's catch and history.
Then I reboot system.
Then I rescan my sys disc on the viruses.
But it did not help me.

Thanks for this topic I disabled hardware acceleration. Now it works. But why? what's the reason of it?

16 gb RAM, ssd and i7 proc. When I was younger I thought more memory helps to avoid programm freezing
I have never been so wrong.

anacebuyer

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
I agree. I've been a huge Chrome user for years, but the past few months it's performance has become erratic. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, removed extensions and plugins, cleared the caches, etc, but the problems get worse and worse. Recent symptoms are ugly, like 2-3 minute delays for downloads to start from Gmail or from browser links, and similar bizarre delays trying to attach documents to Gmail. I have an i7 quad core laptop with 16 GB of memory running Win 8.1. Firefox suddenly is working much faster than Chrome, just the opposite of all my past testing! What's up with that, Google? There has to be a design bug. My hunch: Google has started threading all/most tabs through a finite number of "engines" or "services." That's what Firefox and IE were doing. The result was the other browsers had a single large-memory and CPU-hogging program, while Google had dozens and dozens of smaller processes running. WIndows 8.1 seemed more nimble time-slicing many smaller processes compared with single mammoth processes. Call me crazy, that that's what I'm seeing!

nahuelmariani

Estimable
Jun 10, 2015

H!, I had this problem: Only Google services (Search, YouTube, Gmail, Maps, etc) were slow in Chrome. Other pages were working at normal speed.
The fix is to disable QUIC Protocol:
1 - Go to "chrome://flags"
2 - Ctrl+F and search for QUIC
3 - Turn it to disable.
4 - Restart chrome.

mustangman311

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006

I tried disabling hardware acceleration and extensions and the browser's responsiveness got a bit better, but disabling QUIC solved the issue with tabs just... sort of... sitting there. Had the issue with Google services, Facebook, Twitter, even Chrome's internal Settings page. Anyway, this fix is much appreciated.

Bonedrum

Estimable
Jul 5, 2015
Thank you for this, I've think I've tried every solution on the board and this appears to have solved the problem. Still slow, still considering abandoning chrome, but at least I can download an alternative without it hanging!

figgyroo

Estimable
Jul 9, 2015
After months and months of this problem and different "fixes", on different computers no less, I think I have found the solution! I just went to advanced settings and reset them. Simple. I had to log back in, which usually was the trigger of the lag, and everything loads quickly. I don't know if this is a temporary thing, but seems to have resolved it for now.

Alee89

Estimable
Jul 18, 2015
Hi ... I have the same problem and i'm telling you , i did everything ... like update google chrome , disabling hardware acc , clearing history and catches , using Chromium version of google chrome , Resetting Settings and etc ... But ! No Success ... Fortunately i discovered that this problem is definitely related to Google Account and signing in as a user and making a "Person" in the "Setting Page" that Recognize and sync your Bookmarks , Contact List and etc ... i'm pretty sure about this because i checked the performance before i try to signing in to my Gmail Account and it had a normal function , the second i signed in ... everything got crazy and Slow ... So far , i couldn't Solve this problem ... i'm using Firefox for now till someone come up with a a good solution .

Ros Paterson

Estimable
Jul 30, 2015
I have had the same issue for weeks, I have tried every fix on every forum with no luck but resolved it today. Downloaded and ran Malwarebytes, it found Mysearchdial which was the main problem, cleaned up and Chrome now running normally again.

bostonkhed617

Estimable
Jul 30, 2015

First time ever posting here... anyways this worked like a charm. Before I did this, the google searches were terribly slow. Same for my gmail and google maps. Sometimes the sites would just time out on me. I originally didn't have much problems with any other sites. Thanks for providing a fix!

k8bek

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015
mine has been exactaly the same! iv done a system refresh on my laptop, reinstalled 8.1 and it was the same. However, have just disabed the norton chrome toolbar and its ok again now!

Andee63uk

Estimable
Aug 9, 2015
After days of trying all the fixes on TomsGuide and other sites with no luck. I decided what the hell, I have nothing to lose, so I decided to delete everything in the google chrome user folder. Surprisingly this seems to have worked for me.

Close Google Chrome, Open file explorer and locate the folder UserData @ C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data

Delete everything inside it. Chrome will rebuild the folder when you reopen it. When you reopen chrome you will need to re login to google.

This for now has worked for me.

Shady899

Estimable
Aug 8, 2015

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!!! This definitely helped me!! I am watching Twitch live streams, well just one, but I also have multiple tabs open and quite a bit of programs open. When I play simple games while watching streams too it just lags too much and I cannot to both!! I went from having literally 90% to 100% CPU usage at all times!!!!! Now I have ONLY 45% to 80% (AT MOST) and I am SO VERY THANKFUL!! You are the man!! EVERYONE should try this fix first before anything else!!

truesilver

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015
To anyone encountering similar issues... try disabling hardware acceleration.... it was a tenfold improvement for me on my laptop.

To disable it... type "chrome:settings" in the address bar, click Advanced Settings, then uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available" under the System header. Close all open Chrome browser instances and restart Chrome.

Chrome had always ran really well for me.... until rather recently. This seemed to fix my biggest problem of late. Give it a shot and let me know... curious how it works for others. Not sure why HW acceleration seems to be the culprit, nor what exactly changed that caused this issue.

Seriously, this has been driving me mental for a year. Jeff, you're a freaking genius and I am so entirely grateful that I would like to donate a tenner to your chosen charity or your beer fund. You realise that people have been struggling with this on the Chrome bug reports for over a year?

Jeff, contact me via Twitter @truesilveruk and I'll donate via Paypal.

John Kleitz

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
A program deactivator like the one in Tune-up Utilities frees system resources. I prefer Chrome to everything else. my Firefox often crashes with no apparent reason, so Chrome is the most stable browser I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.