Google chrome freezes (Waiting for appcache...)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxic nubs

Estimable
Mar 23, 2014
My google chrome freezes causing every other program to crash for around 30sec to 1min. Is there a solution or should i move over to firefox as it is completely fine. The only extension i have is adblock.

Cody_37

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
I've had this issue happen in the past a few times, I just waited and it eventually went away, occasionally I would have to restart my computer. But after the latest Windows 10 millennium update, it's happening way more frequently and it's locking up my entire computer. Has anyone else had the frequency of this "waiting for appcache" problem increase since the latest Windows update? Is there a fix for this? I don't want to have to switch browsers.

yyztpa

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

Yes!! and especially after Millennium. Not sure if freeze only happens when it is Chrome waiting on cache. I also notice that the freeze is accompanied by 99-100% disk usage seen in task Manager.

Kristen_2222

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
I just got a brand new computer yesterday. $1200 and i7 intel chip. Windows 10.
My Chrome is still crashing which sucks because I use a lot of the extensions for work stuff.

I'm going to try the cache killer and also check my antivirus settings. See if that will improve things.
Maybe I can use firefox or something for some of the work instead. Come on google!

amtseung

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Three dots on the upper right corner under the X.
Settings
Scroll down
Advanced Settings
Clear Browsing Data
Select only the box that says "Cached images and files"

And clear all that cache that's been saved up from various flash-based ads, facebook, reddit, etc.

Unlike Firefox or Opera or Safari, cache killers and disk cleaners don't tend to find Chrome's cache files, that I've found. You really have to manually dig in and clear it through Chrome itself to be sure it's gone. Antivirus is also really good at slowing down the caching and reading of cached files, the tradeoff you pay for the perception of security.

kristinesideas

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.