Google Confirms No Ice Cream Sandwich for Nexus One

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Well then I'm most likely screwed with my Galaxy S..[/citation]

Not really... Samsung confirmed ICS for SGS2, don't give up yet. I call BS on the claims that "the hardware is too old". And then there's always the unofficial updates, like the article said.

You know, that's my biggest problem with smartphones. On PC, I can install any OS I want - XP runs fine on a 10-year-old PC and Win7 can be installed on a 7-year old laptop and have acceptable performance. On smartphones, I'm stuck with what the manufacturers decided for me... I don't see how a 1GHz CPU is "too old" for ICS. Asus confirmed ICS for Transformer and it's not dual-core, IIRC.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom][/citation]

The Galaxy S II is a MUCH more powerful phone compared to the Galaxy S though so it makes sense. The original galaxy however doesn't even have Android 2.3.4 or 2.3.5 where I live (Official not unofficial).

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Any updates to the Galaxy S Plus?

It is as fast as Galaxy S2 IMO. I have had them side by side for day to day tasks and they both perform in same way. Games, 3D etc is different story but I need phone for 2D mostly anyway.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I'm more annoyed that the optimus 2x won't be getting ICS. I JUST sold my desire Z to get a dual core phone, and now i feel like i've invested in a dead end.

painful.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
What an absolute joke of an OS making you have to buy a new phone every year to stay current, LOL. As soon as any real competitor to Apple springs up, Android is going back to being a niche product.

Again, LOL. What a FAILURE.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]What an absolute joke of an OS making you have to buy a new phone every year to stay current, LOL. As soon as any real competitor to Apple springs up, Android is going back to being a niche product.Again, LOL. What a FAILURE.[/citation]

This may be the mentality for Apple morons who have to have everything done automatically, but anyone with half an amount of sense (most Android users) will probably either root their phone or have someone do it.

Plus the Nexus 1 hardware looks good enough to handle it, so it is just a matter of the dev community (the real geeky driver writers and such) supporting it. Just time is all.

fakeasdf2

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]What an absolute joke of an OS making you have to buy a new phone every year to stay current, LOL. As soon as any real competitor to Apple springs up, Android is going back to being a niche product.Again, LOL. What a FAILURE.[/citation]

How's Siri working on your 3gs? or 4 for that matter? Maybe you should be quiet while the big boys are talking.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]fakeasdf2[/nom]How's Siri working on your 3gs? or 4 for that matter? Maybe you should be quiet while the big boys are talking.[/citation]

Wow, you got me there! I can't use a niche program; guess that means none of the other improvements in the new OS work either...

...oh wait, that's right, they do!

And you're right, you can root the phone when the amateur community provides a solution, but the general consumer (and most people) don't want to fiddle with a device they rely on; that's a hobbyist / nerd niche only.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]fakeasdf2[/nom]How's Siri working on your 3gs? or 4 for that matter? Maybe you should be quiet while the big boys are talking.[/citation]

How's Siri working on your Android? I don't have to specify which model?

That's right, you don't have it, full stop, even on brand new phones.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]This may be the mentality for Apple morons who have to have everything done automatically, but anyone with half an amount of sense (most Android users) will probably either root their phone or have someone do it.Plus the Nexus 1 hardware looks good enough to handle it, so it is just a matter of the dev community (the real geeky driver writers and such) supporting it. Just time is all.[/citation]

Root my phone to get an OS update?!?!? yep. and I have to rebuild my car engine every time I go to the store. And recalibrate the coolant pump every time I open the fridge. Yep fun being a droid head.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]tmshdw[/nom]Root my phone to get an OS update?!?!? yep. and I have to rebuild my car engine every time I go to the store. And recalibrate the coolant pump every time I open the fridge. Yep fun being a droid head.[/citation]

And this for a phone that is not even off contract yet for folks who own it!! Its not even 2 years old.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]How's Siri working on your Android? I don't have to specify which model?That's right, you don't have it, full stop, even on brand new phones.[/citation]

It's called Vlingo, and it works just as good as Siri, if not better.

thaile4ever

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]I don't see how a 1GHz CPU is "too old" for ICS. Asus confirmed ICS for Transformer and it's not dual-core, IIRC.[/citation]

Wait, my Transformer only has 1 core? Who stole the other one? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Transformer has a Tegra 2 dual core processor.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]drapacioli[/nom]It's called Vlingo, and it works just as good as Siri, if not better.[/citation]

1 - Vlingo also works on iPhone 3, 3G, 4, and 4S
2 - It's not even remotely comparable, it's AWFUL in comparison. Do a bit of research.

fakeasdf2

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]How's Siri working on your Android? I don't have to specify which model?That's right, you don't have it, full stop, even on brand new phones.[/citation]

It's called voice search by google... it's been available on android phones for the last 2 years...

fakeasdf2

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Wow, you got me there! I can't use a niche program; guess that means none of the other improvements in the new OS work either......oh wait, that's right, they do!And you're right, you can root the phone when the amateur community provides a solution, but the general consumer (and most people) don't want to fiddle with a device they rely on; that's a hobbyist / nerd niche only.[/citation]

Oh, so if you don't have it on your phone it's considered a niche program or thing to do... So the entire idea behind releasing the new 4S was for a niche program? sounds like millions of people just got hoodwinked.

Status
Not open for further replies.