Google Dumps Windows Due to China Hack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
yes, move to MacOS, as secure as swiss cheese.
No problem, in a few months there will be 100 more hacks done. just to show you.
It's so secure, Mac machines are the first to be cracked open at every conference.

G

This makes no sense... the hack was because they were using IE6 they said. I'm already suprised they wern't using Google Chrome as their web browser or IE8 as everyone knows how buggy the 10 year old IE6 is.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Apple needs more attention, that way people will start hacking, cracking and making virus for it. It's only fair as they have become a supergiant just like like Microsoft.

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
Swiss cheese! I know, it smell like those Chinese stinky tofu. Yes, I smell it coming to share all the loves for those lover haters

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Security aside, I don't deem Macs as being as good in an office environment. MS has a lot of powerful productivity tools.... office, SQL server, exchange, etc.... Yes there alternatives to all of these, but MS has a very good office environment that works well within itself.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Let's think about this... If my target is a COMPANY and not an OS... I'll use whatever tactics I can muster up to target the COMPANY... IF that means targeting macs or Linux...well, there ya' go. It's only changing the caliber of the gun, not actually removing the ammunition.

wing2010

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
It is a logical choice. Once Chrome OS is in beta (you know what beta means at Google, right), Linux and Mac will be out the door too.

Why use other company products when you have the "same" in-house? Do you think you can find AMD CPUs at Intel? Maybe in R&D but not at employees' desktop/laptop computers...

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]yes, move to MacOS, as secure as swiss cheese.No problem, in a few months there will be 100 more hacks done. just to show you.It's so secure, Mac machines are the first to be cracked open at every conference.[/citation]
Ditto! Mac is the least protected OS on the market. Don't be fooled equating Windows popularity to insecurity, nothing could be further from the truth. Unix is probably the single most hacked server platform since the early days.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
"Google dumps Windows because Chrome OS developed on Windows sounds bad for Google".

Although is safety really is that much of an issue, they are right to abandon Windows, but certainly not for Mac OS. But Linux is a significant improvement security wise.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Yea, wasn't there that article a while back that said that Mac's weren't as secure as PC's, simply because they don't update them to keep up with hackers, and because not that many people use macs?

Hah, apple has no idea what they're in for if google switches...

G

This will help drive development of Googles own software portfolio, since they will most likely be using their own alternatives. Probably it is also a move to make further use of cloud based solutions where the client OS type becomes less relevant.

At the same time, it is a shot across the bow of HMS Windows, which will generate headlines.

It shows Google has confidence in its own products and that a big corporate enterprise can be driven completely without Windows clients and still excel.

A sign of things to come.

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Actually if they want progress with Chrome OS they should be eating their own dog food and using it internally. This may limit them but they will be required to innovate to operate.

Dont get me wrong, I think it's a bad move... BUT... it will eventually make Chrome OS better for the end users if they choose to go that route it'll just cost an arm and a leg.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]yes, move to MacOS, as secure as swiss cheese.No problem, in a few months there will be 100 more hacks done. just to show you.It's so secure, Mac machines are the first to be cracked open at every conference.[/citation]
Keep dreaming MS fanboy, OS X and Linux are both built on the UNIX foundation and are inherently more secure than DOS with a GUI.
Good move Google.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Mac OS more secure? Not according to a well known hacker Marc Maiffret who recently interviewed on Cnet.

Are they on par as far as code?
Maiffret: I think Microsoft does a better job with their code auditing than folks like Apple do. We've only seen a scratching of the surface as far as Apple vulnerabilities because nobody cares to find them. There's nothing inherent with Apple themselves and their development. The only reason Apple gets little increase in security is because they're running on top of a Unix-based operating system and they can take advantage of some of the things that have been done for them.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20002317-245.html?tag=mncol

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Swiss cheese goes great with hot steamy rice that a side Linux is the best when it security is paramount. O/S2 is still alive and there is plenty of other choices like what Goldman Sachs uses in the High Frequency Trading cluster computer they use to do their front running aka black box trading. That computer is more secure than most government computers. Windows is like a barn you're going to get leaks in the roof no matter how much you try to patch it. OSX is just a fancy road side billboard that looks like a building till one looks behind it and realize there is nothing there.

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
For general virus/trojan/... floating around on the net there may be more things developed to attack Windows flaws.

But for a targeted attack towards a company, it seems that MacOS is not more protected than Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.