Google Earth gets Aerial Photos from Google Kites, Balloons

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
will it be higher quality that current sat photos? that will be the tester. just looked up my home, i cant see a baloon and a camera someone would risk in one taking a better picture.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]will it be higher quality that current sat photos? that will be the tester. just looked up my home, i cant see a baloon and a camera someone would risk in one taking a better picture.[/citation]

You mean "higher quality sat photos" that are being made available to the public ?
I am sure certain agencies have sat imagery that is well above what Google Earth has to offer :)

etudions

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
I have confidence in your judgment.
g.gif

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Of course we have higher resolution satellite photos than are being released to the public. Heck a half century ago during the Cold War we (U.S.) had cameras on U-2s and a short while later on SR-71s that could record license plates from 70,000ft plus.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]You mean "higher quality sat photos" that are being made available to the public ?I am sure certain agencies have sat imagery that is well above what Google Earth has to offer :)[/citation]

i don't doubt that either.

but what i doubt is that anything shy of a dlsr will ever take a photo of my house with a balloon or a kite. ever take a photo from your hands, ever have to take several because the slightest movement from you makes the photo blur? this is common with most cameras under 400$...

i doubt normal people will kite up a dslr or ballon one up for pictures.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]10tacle[/nom]Of course we have higher resolution satellite photos than are being released to the public. Heck a half century ago during the Cold War we (U.S.) had cameras on U-2s and a short while later on SR-71s that could record license plates from 70,000ft plus.[/citation]

That tale has been around forever.
It does not work simply because you'd be viewing the license plate at a rather steep angle.
What was prob meant is that they 'could' read a license place if it was laying flat on the ground.

Any graduate physics students here specializing in optics ?
Is this reasonable when considering the physical limits of glass lenses ?

Status
Not open for further replies.