Google Execs Threatened With Jail Time for Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
That lawsuit is just stupid. It seems as though someone wants a "settlement" from a multi-billion dollar corporation. This is what the world has come to.

G

Italy court is crazy for even considering this baseless charge.

StupidRabbit

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
doesnt this happen all the time? videos of bullying and fights get uploaded all the time, and yet for some reason someone had to take a video shot 2 years back, and publicize it even more to achieve justice by punishing innocent people?

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Its a load of crap. This advocacy group athough has good intentions is just using this as publicity to further their cause. I find it dispicable. What they are doing is nothing different then what those 4 boys did to the poor handicapped child. These execs had nothing to do with this video. Its frivolous accusations like this that cause companies to really restrict its users which is never a good thing just to cover themselves in the future.

G

I Google now responsible for all offending videos posted on their web site? If a terrorist threat gets posted on Google videos, does Google have to take the blow for that video? Is Google now the terrorist? Google has to shell out millions in court while the real perpetrator gets a free ride knowing they did the damage, the world saw it and now Google is paying for their "fun". Sounds to me like little Italy was too lazy to search into the matter or simply don't have the experience dealing with the scum on their own turf. Get real! This is Italy showing its lack of will power to the world and all these stupid advocacy groups will eat this up. We've wronged the right and praise the ones doing the dirty work.

Spikke

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
WTF, I thought our courts were messed up, looks like Italy has a big leg up on us. This is nothing short of absurd.

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
There are ridiculously absurd cases in every judicial system in every country, it's just the Italians in the spotlight on this one. It's a shame that tax payer's money will go to waste again, and also Google's for that matter, since I think we can all agree this is BS.

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Yea this seems crazy on Italy's part. Let's hope we never see anything like this in the US, but then again maybe we already have.

Ressev

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Like google said: it's just like prosecuting the Post Man for delivering the mail. What, are they supposed to open letter now to make sure that our letters are un-offensive? Who then would determine if they are or are not offensive? Additionally, it would open people up to more litigation since they would be responsible for making sure nothing offensive got through and people are inclined to be offended over the littlest things.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
This case has not merit, hours of video from the "Special Olympics" are aired all the time. I don't see anyone going to jail for those funny videos *rim-shot*

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Hmm. While they're at it, they should bring in Microsoft for supporting the browser (or Mozilla, if it was Firefox) for enabling the video to be played. As well, if this was seen in quicktime format, Apple should be punished. Finally, if flash was run on the site, obviously Adobe is an accomplice.

Seriously, the blame game is stupid. The criminals were punished. If anything, if google never even accidentally allowed the video to be seen, the delinquents would have never gotten punished.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
IMHO Italy could build the great firewall of Italy like china does and stop bothering the free internet. There are loads and loads of abusers out there, why not try to user the resources at disposal searching for them? Google is just answering to them, but could do something like the pirate bay does, I'm a free entity of my own, and do as I please in my own place, and you just don't come to me if you don't like what I offer, and if it bothers you so much, do prevent even your users.

lukeiamyourfather

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
First off to those talking about law suits, its not a law suit. The charges are criminal hence the potential for jail time. Secondly its a total joke. The judge has probably never even used an online video service and doesn't understand how they function (automated system, user generated content, etc.). Google has staff and procedures for removing offensive videos and guess what, it worked! Google's response about the post man and hate mail is dead on.

Status
Not open for further replies.