Google Goggles Translates Foreign Street Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronanh

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Nice idea if it works, you have two hurdles to overcome, text recognition and translation, each of which have the potential to make really silly and embarrassing errors :D

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Next app: Google Beer Goggles. Point it at the girl at the bar, it will tell you if she's really cute or you're just drunk.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
I just got my HTC Desire today. Downloaded this, I only didn't see the point in it, but it's clever and well engineered. I'll give them that! It'd have better uses in niches I expect.

rebb

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Next app: Google Beer Goggles. Point it at the girl at the bar, it will tell you if she's really cute or you're just drunk.

Any reports out about Google Xray Goggles? Victoria's Secret could jump on board with an AD campaign! :p

G

this is good in theory, but until international (data) roaming isn't insanely expensive, there's very few use for this.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Wow! That's wonderful and horrifies me at the same time! Does Google plan to take over the world with their super-intelligent cyborgs by 2012??? Maybe that's when the World's end begins?

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]networknoob[/nom]In anycase, still potentually a great tool once its out of its infancy stages[/citation]

Which might take a few decades and huge advancements in multicore technology first :)

MrHectorEric

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Played around with it using an instruction booklet with many languages, most I couldn't even recognize, and even in it's infancy it works pretty well. The quality of translation depends a lot on the quality of the picture so a good camera and good lighting can get decent results (I'm using a Droid). It worked well enough for me to get the gist of the text even though every word wasn't translated.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... and then you point on a human been and google googles shows the name, age, address, blood type, zodiac, medical record and so on... big google is watching you...

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
I thought this technology is already out and actually working. I think I saw something like this on the Discovery channel a year ago and that thing could recognize Japanese, translate to English and speak what you typed in English in Japanese.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... and then you point on a human been and google googles shows the name, age, address, blood type, zodiac, medical record and so on... big google is watching you...[/citation]
Exactly that I was thinking.

The Google AI has access to so much info we are being tracked every day.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
[citation][nom]gtvr[/nom]Next app: Google Beer Goggles. Point it at the girl at the bar, it will tell you if she's really cute or you're just drunk.[/citation]
HAH! Awesome!

santfu

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
[citation][nom]user1900[/nom]this is good in theory, but until international (data) roaming isn't insanely expensive, there's very few use for this.[/citation]
yeah agreed, my plan costs me £10 for the first byte of data. Can bye a translation dictionary and a coffee for that.

Roaming charges are evil

Probound

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
The GOV is watching is and Google isn't helping us any!!

The FED's can already hear conversations when out phones are off!! Thank you google for giving the Government more capability to try and rule out lives!!

Status
Not open for further replies.