Google Improves Map Images Using ''Kite View''

Status
Not open for further replies.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
So how long until we hear news that the people from the Tahina expedition were captured by Somali pirates? The route on their site goes awefuly close to the Somali shore...

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Greater detail, yes. But I can only imagine how long it would take to cover an entire city with stills taken from a kite. And in some situations, a kite is impossible (power lines, tall buildings, etc). I guess I don't see how you could use this uniformly. It would seem like you'd only get spotty coverage for the most part.

maloney

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]I guess I don't see how you could use this uniformly. It would seem like you'd only get spotty coverage for the most part.[/citation]
I'd say this is his hobby and passion, he's not on a mission from god. Not everything done has to be efficient & productive, just look at video games :p

2real

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]there goes my privacy down the drain....[/citation]
what gave google the right to take pictures like these?

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]dormantreign[/nom]Holy i didn't even know that place existed and i'm super good with maps and ****. A ring island, thats pretty neat.[/citation]
That is what is known as an "Atoll".

Snipergod87

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
[citation][nom]2real[/nom]what gave google the right to take pictures like these?[/citation]

They arent invading your property, anybody can view your property from above legaly. Its well within anyones rights to do this.

socrates047

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
"(of course, what the satellites can do from space are still mind-boggling)"

that line adds a wonderful contrast to the kite pics... both equally awesome in their respects

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Google is actually playing catch-up here. I've been using Bing's Bird's Eye View for years. When I went house hunting, I could see junk in people's backyards.

G

Bing Maps' "bird's eye" view already has this closer perspective... only they use these modern things called airplanes to do it.

Tattysnuc

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
[citation][nom]Igot1forya[/nom]That is what is known as an "Atoll".[/citation]

Wow! Never seen one of those before let alone a whole cluster of them!

Never seen any at all (Atoll....)

Sorry. That's dreadful.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Meh. Bird's Eye on Bing maps is much better. In fact bing is really starting to make google look complacent. Check this (esp video)..

http://politicallyillustrated.com/index.php?/page/features/1893/

mrface

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Check out the Key Hole project from the 50's then you will realize that google "bought" this project; effeciently making bing's bird eye...

... a descendant...

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]webbwbb[/nom]So how long until we hear news that the people from the Tahina expedition were captured by Somali pirates? The route on their site goes awefuly close to the Somali shore...[/citation]
Flying over Somalia... Black Kite Down?

Status
Not open for further replies.