Google is the Most Valuable Brand in the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
'I'm sure Facebook was recently revalued at $85 billion, why not on the list?'

It's the value of the BRAND, not the value of the company.

:)

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]'I'm sure Facebook was recently revalued at $85 billion, why not on the list?'It's the value of the BRAND, not the value of the company.:)[/citation]
OK then, if the company is worth $85 billion whats the value of the brand?

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]OK then, if the company is worth $85 billion whats the value of the brand?[/citation]

Here is quote from: http://247wallst.com/2011/03/21/google-is-worlds-most-valuable-brand/#ixzz1HsztA3PM

[citation][nom]Internet Link Above[/nom]
There is a large industry in brand valuation research. It is led by BrandZ and Interbrand. Each of these companies has its own methodology so there is no consistent way to measure brand values. The wide differences among the results underscores this inconsistency.

The values get more obscure based on the numbers further down the list. Marlboro is No. 499 on the Brandirectory tables. It has a value of $2.3 billion. On the BrandZ and Interbrand lists, Marlboro is near the top and is worth tens of billions of dollars. How can the world’s most widely smoked cigarette do so poorly on one list and not the others?

The brand valuation industry has a bad name. It is no wonder when the figures from one research firm vary so wildly from the next. Each claims it has the best figures, but none are willing to explain why in a convincing way.[/citation]

In other words, the value of the COMPANY as a whole is not necessarily linked to the value of the brand. The value of the BRAND is how much EXTRA the company is worth due to the public awareness of the brand, and public perception of the brand. It's how much the brand, on its own, with no assets, would be worth in the open market. For example, Googles net worth is $190 billion (http://www.chacha.com/question/what-is-google's-net-worth-in-2010) but the value of their brand name, on its own, is much less, according to this valuation (~$44bn).

Hope this helps :)

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Here is quote from: http://247wallst.com/2011/03/21/go [...] z1HsztA3PM
In other words, the value of the COMPANY as a whole is not necessarily linked to the value of the brand. The value of the BRAND is how much EXTRA the company is worth due to the public awareness of the brand, and public perception of the brand. It's how much the brand, on its own, with no assets, would be worth in the open market. For example, Googles net worth is $190 billion (http://www.chacha.com/question/what-is-google's-net-worth-in-2010) but the value of their brand name, on its own, is much less, according to this valuation (~$44bn).Hope this helps :)[/citation]
Yes it does help very much.

It basically tells me that "brand" value is a non-term, entirely made up figures with no basic is fact or linked in anyway to measuable data.

Yet another pointless statistic, so as far as saying Google is the world's number 1 for "brand value" we should all just give a big yawn and read the next article.

caeden

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
[citation][nom]JeanLuc[/nom]I disagree with this list, surely Coke Cola has to be the most valuable brand in the world.[/citation]
While Coke is one of the most recognized brands in the world (perhaps still THE most recognized) it is really a one trick pony compared to many of these other service-oriented or platform-based companies that have made the top of the list. Besides, coke has lost a ton of market share lately due to local brands in other contries, as well as the rise of store brands here in the states. At any rate, recognition is only one part to the overall value of a brand.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Yes it does help very much.It basically tells me that "brand" value is a non-term, entirely made up figures with no basic is fact or linked in anyway to measuable data.Yet another pointless statistic, so as far as saying Google is the world's number 1 for "brand value" we should all just give a big yawn and read the next article.[/citation]

Pretty much, yeah. Measuring 'Brand' value is very unscientific and unprovable, I agree.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I'm not sure if this rating scale actually makes any sense. Is this saying that the people most want to invest in Google, buy from Google, or what?

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
I too doubt this stuff. Walmart is, for example, VERY well known in the US, but over here in Europe, the only reason we know about it is because you hear it in the news or googled it ;)

Coca Cola has to be top spot, as in developing countries (pretty much all of Africa) they (the general population) has no CLUE what google is, nor do they care. they DO however know how to point you in the right direction when you point at your throat, wag your tongue and say "Coca cola?".

maydaynomore

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
company net worth (determined by the stock market) minus the Fair market value of assets equals Goodwill (or brand value).

For example if company ABC is worth $100 and has $10 worth of assets, its goodwill is worth $90.
If company XYZ is worth $100 and has $50 worth of assets, then its goodwill is worth $50.

Most recognized brand =! Most valuable brand

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Whatever....

If IPv4/6 had a cute little name tag then i'm sure IT would be the most valuable on the market. Without IPv4/6 the internet would be just a hopeless dream....

Status
Not open for further replies.