Google Labs: SMS from Gmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Hmm... I've been able to send SMS messages from Yahoo! Mail/Chat for more than a year now (both the website and stand-alone IM client). Even better, my Nokia cell-phone has a built-in Yahoo! Chat application that uses my SMS message alotment (over Yahoo! IM servers), meaning I don't need 3G or GSM to chat over IM.

GMail isn't going to be another Microsoft are they? Watching what others have already done, then getting praise for doing the same thing just cause they're Google (Chrome browser anyone)? Oh, and GMail has been out for what, 3-4 years now, I think it's time they rolled out of the Beta stage.

Claimintru

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Over 2-3 years ago there was a service in google that let you send SMS to any phone without any sort of spam advertising etc that was common to free text services. I'm surprised they took away such a feature, and then took so long to reinstate it. Though in the Gmail area is a great spot for it. Yay

Alternator

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
This doesn't sound so good!

"Gmail warns that recipients may be charged each time you hit enter so it could be pretty easy to rack up a high bill."

I hope I'm not the only person who sees a problem with the above (unless there is some kind of decline option?)

Status
Not open for further replies.