Google Launches 'Email Intervention' Gmail Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Gmail is more professionally looking IMO, it's very simple and it loads fast. I stopped using hotmails horrible service the minute gmail came out, and I only keep my yahoo account to play online pool now :p

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
I feel like I have an email account with almost every email provider. Kinda annoying actually. Good thing for outlook which keeps track of them all =P

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
The day I was invited to Gmail I never looked back; except for the occasional junk mail account. However, now 6 years later and after a few attempts to sign up for as much spam as possible I still yet to receive more than a couple spam emails a year.

The only thing I would change is more options for themes.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I was reluctant to switch to Gmail until I saw the message chains; never regretted it. However, Gmail pisses me off with limiting my attachments to 25MB per letter, so I still have to keep another mailbox to send them. The best Google product, IMO, and the only one I will ever use.

And Hotmail and Yahoo Mail are junk... had them, full of spam, look like $h!t and the interface isn't the best. I don't understand why they're ahead of Gmail.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]I was reluctant to switch to Gmail until I saw the message chains; never regretted it. However, Gmail pisses me off with limiting my attachments to 25MB per letter, so I still have to keep another mailbox to send them. The best Google product, IMO, and the only one I will ever use.And Hotmail and Yahoo Mail are junk... had them, full of spam, look like $h!t and the interface isn't the best. I don't understand why they're ahead of Gmail.[/citation]

They were out long before Gmail was around. Not saying that makes them better, just stating the obvious. At any rate, I largely let my old yahoo and hotmail accounts fall to the wayside once I got into Gmail.

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Gmail in my opinion is ok. I have one that I use. But I find myself always going back to my yahoo mail and yahoo messenger. So I have both, but I suspect that I'll always use yahoo more than my g-mail.

G

I'm not sure how much credence those "user" numbers should be given - I seem to recall that the Yahoo and Hotmail CAPTCHAs were seriously broken for quite a while, leading to blajillions of spam accounts being created...

ioa94

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
I don't see any justification (for myself, at least) to move onto gmail. It doesn't offer anything I don't already have or care for with hotmail, and all of my newsfeeds, contacts, etc., are set up on my hotmail account. I wouldn't switch over if gmail paid me to.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Gmail sucks BECAUSE it lacks folders. I know they eventually added a way to sort of fake it, but I still don't think it's as convenient as the real thing, and by the time they got around to it I had long since been using Yahoo.

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
hotmail sucks BECAUSE it lacks features, these days it suffered a number of bugs within firefox 3-4-5, chrome 11-12, only the crappy internet explorer can open my mails, I cannot add filters because of a doggy bug, plus it does not prevent spams correctly and it's ugly. ^^ Prefer gmail by far.

strandwolf

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
A couple of years ago I left my computer unattended in my private office for about 20 minutes and came back to a clean slate as far as gmail goes. 80,000 emails in my gmail inbox, drafts, and sent mail areas had vanished. No way to recover them. Someone had made the decision to blow them all away and it wasn't I. The only thing I can think of was that I subscribed to a music fan group and got 6 low-fi (~300KB each) 1960s soul songs a day and never opened most of them. My total gmail size used was at least a GB under the maximum permitted. I've never forgiven Google for that, even though I still use gmail. Don't count on them protecting your mail.

G

Whats up with all the thumbs down on the love gmail comments? People have different opinions.. I for one am a hard core gmail user. But that doesn't mean i hate hotmail or yahoo. It adds variety and competition to the market. Its great that yahoo is still trying to innovate and compete with the market despite its dwindling users. I like to use yahoo, gmail and hotmail because of their different UI. Adds some spice to my IT life with the change of UI.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I use Gmail for one reason. They changed the game.

Gmail showed us how we were being ripped off by our mail server hosts. Before Gmail came out, hotmail charged for an upgrade from their 10MB free service.

When Gmail released 1,000MB for FREE, hotmail immediately changed their free service to 500MB.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
"Before Gmail's launch in 2005, the most popular choices for web-based email were Hotmail..."

The author of this 'story' might like to know that hotmail is still many times larger than google's gmail.

Status
Not open for further replies.