Google May Have Killed Tethering in Android 2.3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Yeah it'd be a deal-breaker for me. Verizon isn't crazy about tethering either. They'd rather charge you $15 more per month (or is it $30?).

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
If I remember correctly Sprint doesn't even care if you tether or not- I guess it's another win for Sprint (who ever thought they would be the company giving you the most freedom and bang for your buck?) Since Sprint has Android phones, I would be suprised if Google cut this feature though. If Google did take tethering out of the OS, then I guarantee a group will pop up overnight that will try to re-add this feature back to Android.

G

Paying more for tethering is just another retarded money grab. They are already charging you by the gigabyte, how you use those gigabytes and on what device should not matter!

cwolf78

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Paying more for tethering is just another retarded money grab. They are already charging you by the gigabyte, how you use those gigabytes and on what device should not matter![/citation]

Right. They are pretty much charging you to use a software feature. Same with cable companies that charge $10/mo for the DVR that's already in your cable box. It's not costing them anything beyond the cost of the box to provide that feature.

joe gamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Data is data is data, if I use it on the phone or tethering it's same fucking thing, costs them nothing extra but somehow they expect me to pay more? Fuck off, tethering chargers are the biggest ripoff since text messages.

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
This is crazy. Why the #¤%/%% should some stupipd american telco;s decide what I can or can't do in Sweden, where tethering is alowed for all carriers.
I use it all the time.
If this is true, I will never upgrade beyond 2.3.5 (excluding possible hacked Roms).

Nick_C

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Alarmist headline - not specific about the 'phone for which the ROM kills tether....

Unfortunately a bit typical of recent Tom's headlines.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I would have thought the carriers would want to have tethering, so that users go over their data plan and incur additional charges

Funny how tethering is being introduced for Mango next week at the same time Android has bricked it in this update.

NeatOman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Root it or load an app (pay some "nerd" to root it if you can't). Because anything is cheaper then paying for tethering :)

G

Never understood why a company would charge you twice for the same data about whether you surf on the phone or tether.

zeide

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Updated to 2.3.6 and thethering and wi-fi hotspot are working fine. I am with Rogers here in
Ontario Canada. Hope this helps. Zeide

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Good to know zeide...thanks for the word.

I completely agree about the complaints...just greedy companies.

I'd understand if you had "unlimited" to want to restrict tethering, but if I pay for the GB, they really shouldn't care what I do with the data. If I go over...charge me for it...don't tell me how I can use it.

Device Unknown

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]If I remember correctly Sprint doesn't even care if you tether or not- I guess it's another win for Sprint (who ever thought they would be the company giving you the most freedom and bang for your buck?) Since Sprint has Android phones, I would be suprised if Google cut this feature though. If Google did take tethering out of the OS, then I guarantee a group will pop up overnight that will try to re-add this feature back to Android.[/citation]

I have been using Sprint for 11 years now. They do NOT allow Tethering or Hotspot without a $25 addon Package. But damn 4G is sooo much faster

G

Easy Tether with Sprint smart phones works great with no extra fees being paid.

Hot spot does require extra fees

I have been using Easy Tether on my Evo 4G for over a year worth no problems

G

The carriers have already capped the data plans, so why do they care how we use the allowed data. This is total BS, I'm tempted to just go back to a voice only plan out of irritation.

Status
Not open for further replies.